PDA

View Full Version : Mullein moth caterpillar

Jonathan Ashton
06-24-2015, 04:41 AM
Tripod Canon 1DX Canon 180mm macro @ approx 1:1 with 12mm & 25mm extension tubes, twin flash in light box, 7 stacked images taken @ ISO 100, 1/30 sec f5.6.
The 7 images were converted to high quality jpeg prior to stacking in CS6. I didn't use a focusing rail for this set up.
All C&C welcome.

Ron Conlon
06-25-2015, 03:48 PM
A pleasing pose and lovely color and comp. The transition between in-focus and out-of-focus are always abrupt in a partially stacked subject, so you might consider easing them a bit with some selective blurring at the transition. You might want to retouch the stack with parts of your most pleasing oof frame at the tail end and a couple spots on the leaf to our left which look partially in focus.

Diane Miller
06-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Interesting creature! Good points by Ron -- stacking is a fun exploration. If you get into it, Helicon Focus can give amazing results beyond what PS can do.

Karen Pleasant
06-25-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm not knowledgeable re: focus stacking...but I know what I like! :)) But I like this image! Exposure and composition are nicely done. Focus seems a tad bit back focused, but I find it a very pleasing image.

David Cowling
06-26-2015, 03:11 PM
Interesting one. Never tried stacking so can't comment on the technical aspects. Lovely colours on the caterpillar and the bits that are sharp are nice and sharp. Personally I would have liked to have seen more of the body as I think it is a beauty of a caterpillar.