06-21-2015, 03:35 PM
Black Headed Gull_juv

D750
600mm + TC14Ell
f8 - ISO200 -1/1600th sec
UK - last week

too much negative space above?
different crop … crop is disappointing
does not "pop" - need to review processing?

C & C more than welcomed

William Dickson
06-21-2015, 04:00 PM
I love photgraphing these birds. You did well here Bill. I like the crop as is. Lovely details on the bird. nice and sharp. The subject fits well with that BG. Maybe try a wee bit more contrast on the chocolate brown head, see if it makes a difference. Good work Bill and thanks for sharing

Will

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-21-2015, 04:21 PM
HI Bill
For this shot, for my taste, less room above would strengthen the comp.
Light was a little unkind to you here with the contrasting browns and solid white plumage. Softer light would rock. I suspect you'd have more room available all around. I'd keep the front of the frame the same (distance from bill to edge) and give it more of the neck) in a 3:2 ratio landscape format (standard crop). I think leaving more pixels will make for a little more detail.
Nice work mate!
Thanks for sharing.

Bill Nuttall
06-21-2015, 04:43 PM
Many thanks guys,

I have tried to take on board the coments ….. the crop …… neck and adding "more" contrast

maybe this is better

(just noticed the blown white area, that I have brought in ……. sugar!!!)

also the bird is whiter than the shot shows - will start again with processing!!!

keith mitchell
06-22-2015, 02:44 AM
Bill I prefer the first post which I think looks more natural that of course is a personal choice , maybe just up the contrast a bit and a tiny bit of sharping on the bill, you have got some very nice detail.

Keith.

Lyle Gruby
06-22-2015, 07:48 AM
I like the second comp., although you could probably include just a little bit more on the left. You might just want to sharpen the bird in the original more instead of just adding contrast.

Marina Scarr
06-22-2015, 09:00 AM
RP is a huge improvement. The only thing which could have improved your image here would have been photographing in less harsh light.