PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Pileated Woodpeckers.

Daniel Cadieux
06-21-2015, 06:37 AM
I've been busy lately, with no time to re-visit the nests that I had found earlier except this one. The young have now fledged (which I did not witness) but I was able to photograph the family on a couple of occasions before they did. Another week to go before I can head out, so hopefully one of the other potential nest sites will still have activity until then!

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1600s., f/7.1, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, small crop for comp, some burning and dodging to tame the light that was starting to get harsh.

Randy Stout
06-21-2015, 06:59 AM
Daniel:

This one really brings back memories, as I had a pileated nest in my woods a number of years ago, and spent a lot of hours in a natural blind watching them interact.

I like the balance of elements here. Enough trunk to tell the story, without being overpowering, the separation of the adults head, color in bg.

Perhaps the whites could go a bit brighter.

Cheers

Randy

Mike Poole
06-21-2015, 07:14 AM
I love interaction shots like these, nice work. A bit of a shame the second youngster wasn't at the front as he has a great crest on him, but not exactly under your control!

Nice PP work, the light was obviously getting a bit harsh, but it doesn't show through in your presentation

Rachel Hollander
06-21-2015, 08:44 AM
Hi Daniel - Great interaction and a fun image. Nice control of the reds in the bright light too.

TFS,
Rachel

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-21-2015, 04:08 PM
I like the comp the three hungry mouths all screaming to be fed.
While the light is a bit strong, I don't mind. I would have not hesitated to press the shutter myself. It's still an excellent natural history moment Daniel.
TFS!

Warren Spreng
06-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Great interactive shot, details look great!

William Dickson
06-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Great, pleasing to look at image. The facial expressions are priceless. Details etc spot on as usual Good work Dan

Will

gail bisson
06-22-2015, 02:34 PM
This is special Daniel.
Normally I dislike images taken in strong light but I really like this.
The bright colorful color palette is great and looks so nice in this light. you got excellent DOF on the 3 chicks. Nice that the eyes are at least partially visible on all 3 chicks.
I like your comp but might add a slice on the bottom to include the entire left rear toe.
Gail

dankearl
06-22-2015, 02:58 PM
You did well with the light, great subjects helps a lot........

Bill Nuttall
06-22-2015, 03:00 PM
wonderful

Karl Egressy
06-22-2015, 03:28 PM
Great interaction shot, excellent IQ and comp. Daniel.

arash_hazeghi
06-24-2015, 12:09 PM
very cute Dan, I like everything but wish for a bit softer light