PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn Sheep

Mike Milicia
01-07-2008, 12:11 PM
EOS-1D Mk III, 70-200mm/f2.8L @ 70mm, 1/400, f/16, ISO 400
About 95% of Full Frame

Photographed this past September at Wilcox Pass in Jasper National Park.

It was overcast when we began the hike up to Wilcox Pass but, by the time we found some sheep,
it had cleared and had turned to fairly harsh mid-afternoon light.
I made selective use of reverse s-curves to try to reduce the contrast.

Looking forward to your comments and critiques !

Robert Amoruso
01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I like this a lot Mike and the reverse s curve worked great here. My quibble is the little bunch of grass where you name is on the image. I would have preferred to see the rim the sheep is on drop off and to come back in as it does on the right or to have the rim not cropped and acting as a compositional anchor on the bottom. Now the terrain might not have allowed this, but changing you persepctive might have helped at the cost of scaring the sheep.

Anyway my rambling is to demonstrate that my comments assume you have control in the field that just may be not true. Just given you things to consider.

The image as presented works exceptionally well.

DanWalters
01-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Very nice enviromentai image!

D. Robert Franz
01-07-2008, 06:29 PM
A really nice environmental image in some spectacular country.. If you could have positioned yourseld in such a way to make it appear or to emphasize that the sheep was at the edge of cliff it would really fit our perceptions of sheep country..

Jasper Doest
01-08-2008, 09:56 AM
This is exactly what that meant when I was talking about environmental wildlife photography. You did a tremendous job capturing this animal in its environment. However, I fully agree with Robert about the lack of space on the bottom. With just that little bit of space, it would really be an awesome photograph.