PDA

View Full Version : Lunch on the bus - common loons with chicks back riding.

Randy Stout
06-19-2015, 08:55 PM
This common loon family was imaged on my annual loon trip. The chicks were ~2 days old, and the parents were really stuffing them, in this case with a perch minnow.
It was a good year so far, with four chicks hatched among three families that I follow. Last year unfortunately was very poor for hatching and survival, so really thrilled to see them doing so well this year.

D4 600VR TC14II, ISO 1250 1/1250s f/7.1 Shot from the bottom of my little boat, the "Lonnie Too"

Post: Slight crop from left and canvas extension on the right, cleaned up multiple reflections on iris of adults

The lighting was just right to show off the iridescence on the adults head and necks.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
06-19-2015, 09:31 PM
Excellent image Randy! I like the low angle, food item in the beak and the little ones.

Warren Spreng
06-19-2015, 10:02 PM
Great shot and great detail on the heads which is so difficult on these birds!

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-20-2015, 06:06 AM
Randy, lovely image. Really beautiful colours, iridescence and eye contact.
Do you have the left adult bird available in one piece? I think this pano type crop could use both birds in full.
What a fantastic opportunity that's really well executed.
Thanks for sharing.

Joseph Przybyla
06-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Lovely image, Randy. Thank you for sharing.

William Dickson
06-20-2015, 12:28 PM
Beautiful image Randy, the POV is amazing. I really like the detail and the interaction. Great work

Will

Marina Scarr
06-20-2015, 04:00 PM
Terrific behavior you captured here, Randy, and the light and colors are superb. I'd like to see this image in standard horizontal form as well b/c I think it would bring more focus on the behavior.