PDA

View Full Version : Jokulsarlon

dankearl
06-19-2015, 08:15 AM
Famous Glacier lagoon in SE Iceland.

40mm (24-70 f2.8), iso50, 6 sec. exposure, f11, D800

002_3313bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=153151&stc=1&d=1434719688)

Morkel Erasmus
06-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Hi Dan
An interesting take on this one. Was the long exposure specifically for smooth water or was the light just that low?
There's a pinkish hue uncommon to these scenes (normally very blue in presentation, haven't been there) - was that due to some eerie light conditions at the time?
I like the reflections, texture and abstract nature of the shot.

Rachel Hollander
06-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Hi Dan - I've looked at this a few times now and agree with Morkel that it's not the usual image we see from this location so good for you for trying something a bit different. I do think the long exposure has affected the critical sharpness of the ice which makes sense since it is floating. I do like the smooth water and reflections though so I'm not sure what the solution is., maybe a shorter long exposure.

TFS,
Rachel

Don Railton
06-21-2015, 11:22 PM
Hi Dan.

I have a preference for the LHS side of the image as it has no BG and their is a stronger feeling of ice wrapped in fog (= Cold), more so than the RHS... Maybe there was no fog but.... So, take from that what you will.. I do like the pastel colours, agree with Rachel the IQ is very presentable but not up to your usual.

DON

dankearl
06-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the comments.
The long SS was simply to smooth out the water...
I think I put on 2 filters to get to 6 sec.
Probably too long but Iceland is very windy, so there was a lot of choppy water.

Don Lacy
06-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Hi Dan, I like the colors in the ice but felt the overall image was a little to bland and dark so I played around with it PS hope you do not mind and poped it just a bit I also added a bit more sharpening to the ice with a blur and sharpening technique I started using.

dankearl
06-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Thanks for taking the time, Don...
I like what you have done although the sharpening is a bit much for me.
Rachel also mentioned the Ice sharpness and I think you have to realize that the bergs are melting....
In person, they are not crisp or hard frozen at all, they are melting ice in a lake and are very soft and melancholy looking.
They are more crystalline after they wash into the ocean and come back on the beach.
I might post one of those.

Karen Pleasant
06-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Hi Dan, I like the colors in the ice but felt the overall image was a little to bland and dark so I played around with it PS hope you do not mind and poped it just a bit I also added a bit more sharpening to the ice with a blur and sharpening technique I started using.
The ice is much more dominant in the image now....but there is also banding in the foreground and color shifts in the sky. The sharpening seems to have helped.

Don Hamilton Jr.
06-30-2015, 05:51 AM
Like the repost better, however something is just different here... sharpness was lacking on the original, now just a wee bit too much for me.. however, i think the image has some blurr going on with the original, and the colors are not the usual... Would love to see some more, keep them coming!!

Andrew McLachlan
07-03-2015, 09:06 AM
A very nice scene Dan...I love the smoothed water...I like Don's repost best but do understand what you mean about the bergs being in a state of melting...hope to get there one day!