PDA

View Full Version : A Shot in the Dark

Bill Dix
06-17-2015, 03:57 PM
We had been exploring a small tributary in the Peruvian Amazon at twilight in our skiff, looking for tarantulas, caimans and tiny frogs. Now we were heading back down the creek in the dark, our guide sweeping his light back and forth to spot any snags to avoid, when he spotted a Cocoi Heron perched near the bank. I had begun to put my gear away, but quickly remounted the Speedlight, which had been set for caimans in twilight. Figuring I didn't have much time before we spooked the bird, I grabbed this shot without checking the settings. It was quite a bit overexposed, or so I thought. Then we drifted closer and I dialed the Speedlight way back and took a few more frames. Those looked better in the dark, but I neglected to factor in the fact that my eyes were widely dilated, and they turned out to be badly underexposed. Somewhere in between would have been optimum. When I got home, this frame, while a bit overexposed, looked better even though I liked one of the later poses better. I don't have much experience with flash, except for use as subtle fill, so I'm sure there must have been a better setting for these conditions; but in the few seconds available and without being able to see the camera and flash in the dark, this is the best I got. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

D7200, 80-400VR @ 105mm, ISO 3200, 1/250s @ f/7.1 manual, speedlight @ +1.7 EV; handheld from boat.

Karl Egressy
06-17-2015, 07:45 PM
Looks nice for sure, Bill. I would be happy with a shot like this especially given the conditions you described.

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-17-2015, 08:08 PM
You did well considering! I like it!

I do a ton of night photography and this pretty much qualifies for that. From my experience with flash providing the only source of light, you can comfortably use a slow shutter speed like 1/60th even (I do with a 500/2x combo hand held at night) and you don't need to worry about subject movement unless the spotlight provides enough illumination additionally to the flash and the subject moves. Being at 105mm I am assuming you were fairly close.

My main setting at night for a subject at around 10-15 meters is manual mode, ISO400-800, f/8 and 1/125th - the closer I am the smaller I set the aperture to increase DOF. Since I use a better beamer on the flash, my flash setting is usually around 0 to +1 EC.
I vary the shutter speed and ISO and flash output based on subject distance from me and also its tonality. It takes some practice, but that's the principle for my use. Hope it was of some help to you.

Here is a sample image of a Fallow Deer from about 50 meters away at night. Settings were ISO400, 500mm, f/6.3, 1/60th, I don't have the flash settings handy, but probably about +2 or so.
http://amatteroflight.com/gallery2/d/7764-2/Deer-2012_11_04_0911.jpg

These two Common Brushtail Possums were about 30 meters away. Settings were ISO400, 700mm, f/10, 1/60th, I don't have the flash settings handy though via my web gallery.
http://amatteroflight.com/gallery2/d/6398-2/Common-Brushtail-Possum_AGL1361.jpg

Best wishes

keith mitchell
06-18-2015, 02:20 AM
Bill sounds like very difficult conditions so very well done getting this,I do like the way the bird stands out against that dark BG.

Stu Bowie
06-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Hi Bill, congrats on getting this with the little time you had to adjust everything. I do like the night BG, and of course, the Heron will pop against that BG.

A great read from Akos regarding camera and flash settings for night photography. Flash photography does need a lot of practise to be confident to get results. Ive done a couple of weddings, and you dont get a second chance, so you need to know first time. :w3