PDA

View Full Version : NOW OPEN THAT RIGHT EYE, PLEASE?

Gabriela Plesea
06-16-2015, 03:16 PM
Hello Friends,

Nothing more frustrating for a photographer than being too far...Well, in this case, too close...and then too far....and then too close again!

Found myself surrounded by a herd of Cape Buffalo this afternoon, my D4 gone to Nikon for dusting up and I was left with my D3S as well as a DF from Nikon who were so kind to loan me a backup camera. I joined this new, sexy, retro looking DF with my 70-200 but kept switching between the 500 and the 300 on the D3S instead and yep, I agree, this image shows, I was not fast enough...I was either too close or too far for what I wanted to achieve.

As soon as I clicked the 500 on the D3S this oxpecker landed on the buffalo's face, I quickly took a few frames and then increased aperture but it was too late, the bird had flown away. Back with the 300 F2.8 but by that time my Oxpecker landed on another buffalo, again all too far so I was back with the 500 F4...

Eventually I gave up... I miss my other body (D4) tremendously but it will be back soon, hopefully before the week-end when we are going to spend the night in the Hluhluwe/Umfolozi Game Reserve. The Park is dry and there's little water available and the animals seem rather tense - good for photography because it appears there's more action than usual, at the same time I wish for rain to get the vegetation growing again. We need a flood for the river to come alive.

So here it is, I do like the content of this image and the rich colours but before you point it out to me, not enough DOF. I do have other images from this sighting but somehow I chose to experiment on this one, loved the golden light and the situation with the Oxpecker so persistent at getting a tick out of the eye of the Buffalo. Hope you find this interesting enough to view, I expect some harsh critique from the Nitpickers but as you know I love to tell stories, so here's the image to go with it.

Africa is still an amazing place despite its problems, and I love to seek refuge in the local Game Reserve just about every week-end...there I can find some time to enjoy nature and think about the impact us humans have on the environment. Those places are sacred to me, and so special.

Nikon D3S
Nikon 500 mm F4
ISO 2000
F5.6
1/800s

Wishing you a great rest of the week,

Dvir Barkay
06-17-2015, 07:34 AM
I am a big fan of storytelling, even going as far as personally feeling that a good story trumps the "Artistic" Aesthetics of photography. I really like this, I agree that about 400MM would have been better, would have allowed for the full head, but would have been tight enough to show good details. I do really like the colors and all. Overall a nice shot.

Rachel Hollander
06-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Hi Gabriela - Looks like you had some nice light. Not sure if this one belongs more in Avian than in Wildlife as it seems more about the oxpecker but not a problem either way. Beautiful light with nice detail and sharpness.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
06-17-2015, 08:22 AM
Thank you so much Dvir and Rachel:w3

Rachel, I could not make up my mind where to post it, LOL. I have more of those, will post one in Avian too:)

Have a wonderful day,

Andreas Liedmann
06-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Hi Gabriela technically a very nice processed shot with a good range of tones and stunning detail ...... well done :5.Your story is great as usual :t3, love it !!
I would also say it is more about the Ox rather than the Dagga , but this could be just a personal view .

Keep your experiments going .

TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
06-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Thank you Andreas, very much!

I do realise now the Oxpecker has priority over the Dagga Boy...I really do not mind if the Moderators move this to Avian - I need to pop in there as well! And I have so much more for Wildlife Forum, so no problem:)

Hope you have a lovely evening, here suddenly cold and we had a few drops of rain this morning, about 6mm - just enough to moisten those wallows the Buffalo and Rhino love so much...

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
06-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Gabriela - I moved it for you :wave:

Gabriela Plesea
06-17-2015, 02:04 PM
Thank you dearest Rachel, much appreciated! If you have time, take a look at another similar image I posted here in Avian tonight...

Warmest regards,

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-17-2015, 04:46 PM
That's why I was not able to see this. It got moved here last night.
What a great image Gabriela. I love the tight crop as is and it shows the symbiotic relationship very nicely.
Is your lens the VR version? Were you hand holding? I find that with good technique I am able to shoot 1/60th hand held with the 500/4L IS. In this case, that could've given you much more DOF possibility. It's easy enough usually to change settings quickly (with at least my Canon's wheels) - I found the Nikon bodies more complicated personally.
Not sure how easy the hand holding is for you, so it's just a suggestion. No VR is a bit more tough too.
Excellent work overall as per your very high standard. No nitpicking here. :t3

Sharon Hallowell
06-17-2015, 06:29 PM
I don't blame the buffalo for not opening that right eye...I wouldn't want any bird whose name ends in "pecker" that close to my eye! I like this shot a lot...thanks for sharing something a little different! Sharon

Mike Poole
06-17-2015, 07:28 PM
I lie this image as presented with the framing. The focus for me is the oxpecker and what it is up to, so there is just enough of the buffalo to know what is going on whilst retaining the bird as the main point of interest.

Nice work

Gabriela Plesea
06-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Thank you Akos, Sharon and Mike:)

Akos, yes it is the VR one. I was indeed hand holding, the car window open all the way down and bean bag on it, but a very mean looking big old Buffalo was near my elbow so I decided not to shuffle around too much -too many vehicles around here with dents from the Dagga boys:) They are usually quite placid but I did not want to push the envelope, LOL, no cellphone reception there and I was on my own. I also have a new vehicle and I don't like bumps and scratches:) It was awesome, there were so many buffalo that I could not count them, a couple of females with young ones lying behind the vehicle so I could not move, they were all over the place and kind of curious too...I could smell them - a lovely sour, grassy smell. I can change my settings easily but I have this "rule" to always take a frame or two when I see something interesting and then change settings, in this case I would have missed this otherwise. I also watch my histogram, by the way. Handholding not a problem, even with the 500 lens, LOL - ask our friend Andreas:) I do it maybe too often but I do want to miss out on anything...My other rule is "shutter speed no less than the size of the lens", so in this case at least 1/600s. Then again, the Oxpeckers are fast little guys and they "comb" their host's skin with incredible speed - so many things to take into consideration, to me knowing my subjects helps a lot.

Thank so much everyone for viewing and feedback, I am delighted with your comments and will be back with more:)

Kind regards,