PDA

View Full Version : Theme High Noon Dispute

Andre Pretorius
06-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Image captured in October 2014 @ Polentswa waterhole in the Kalahari.
Luckily I could crop Andreas's car out..:t3

Searing heat and little water, not enough to go around- short tempers get shorter..

Nikon D3S with 300F2,8
1/1600 @ 5,6
ISO 640
0 EV

haseeb badar
06-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Hi Andre -- If i am not wrong I have seen a similar coloured version of the image on BPN, was it posted by you ? anyways i liked that version but the dry plants in the FG were a bit of distraction in the coloured version and in this one the dry plants are giving a feel of the harsh environment and they are perfectly acceptable here. Altogether a different story with the disappearance of colours .Nicely done ! TFS !

Giovanni Frescura
06-15-2015, 04:03 PM
Hello
I love b/n used with africa wildlife because the dramatic situation are more intensive...
Good the faces ...but I think a bit overexposed the sand on the left.
I no like the white point on the right

Rachel Hollander
06-15-2015, 07:44 PM
Hi Andre - Nice action, well captured. I'm glad you were able to avoid Andreas being in the image. Nice detail particularly on the wildebeest on the left. It's great that you can see his eye. I too think the highlights in the sand and bg are too bright and would tame them slightly if it were mine. Overall, I think this works well as a b&w.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
06-16-2015, 03:22 AM
Good morning everyone:wave:

Don't mean to hijack your thread Andre, thought I'd chip in to say Andreas was just around the corner, LOL...

Love the way the dust shrouds the WB on the left of the image and the fact that the eyes are visible - nice expression captured, by the way. Makes me go back to that folder and see if I can't find something interesting too...something you and Andreas haven't processed yet:)

Hope everyone is having a super day, here in SA Public Holiday so it feels like a Sunday morning...

Andreas Liedmann
06-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Thanks Andre for getting rid of me :wave:.
Yes i remember the color version too ...... and i actually prefer the color version , because i do find the tree distracting the great action scene . It is not that much disturbing in the color version , at least for my eyes .
A nicely timed stunning action shot of the two WB and the conversion is working quite nice , i think you could try to coax out a bit more detail from the 3/4 tones :w3.

A very nice reminder for me of the great time we had in the KTP ....... hoping for a reunion the KTP and the three of us :wave:.

TFS Andreas

Dvir Barkay
06-17-2015, 07:36 AM
Really nice action, I always love the frantic look that Gnu have in their eyes, almost like pinchers (sounds a bit sadistic haha) but it really defines their life. Good idea with the B&W as it adds to the drama.

Andre Pretorius
06-17-2015, 01:34 PM
Thank you Haseeb- I posted one and my brother Andreas posted a better one- that was were you have seen it. Thank you for the nice comment!:bg3:
Thank you Giovanni- Was difficult to get detail in the blacks for a black animal and not blow the whites, I shoot ETTR- wanted almost some "high key" effect with dust on the right...
Thank you Rachel:S3: Did curve layer on BG to lighten darks, they were to distracting, the trees, logs etc. Worked separately on subjects to bring out detail. Burn layer on BG to enhance darker dust, left dust on LHS
bright and no detail to accentuate where he was coming from (past Andreas..:t3) to create a "meeting point" for the action in centre of image.
Gabriela, we will be there again soon...:cheers:
Andreas, will never want to get rid of you!:5, you will have to teach me more about them 3/4 tones...
Thank you Dvir, see you know these crazy Gnus- stubborn and silly..
Thank you all for commenting and suggestions...

Morkel Erasmus
06-17-2015, 11:48 PM
Cracking action Andre, love the left one's pose/expression.
I don't mind the bright whites in an image like this - as you said high key!
To me the image seems slanted to the left, might look at rotating CW?

Ákos Lumnitzer
07-01-2015, 07:02 AM
I like how I can see both animals' eyes. The one about to dig in is watching the X-mark, where to stab!
Really effective with the harsh B&W treatment, I meant the high-key. Would be worth seeing what toning down the really bright areas would result in.
Agree with Morkel about the rotation.
Thanks for sharing Andre!