PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly (ID Appreciated)

Robert Amoruso
06-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Created at Viera Wetlands this weekend where we had an explosion of dragonflies. ID appreciated. Comments welcome as Macro is not my forte.

In order to tame some of the hotspots and bring better color to the perch, I made a selection using the channels palette, holding the CTRL key double clicked on the RGB channel to make a selection, returned to the Layers palette, copied the selection, pasted the selection, changed the blending mode to Multiply, reduced Opacity to my likening and raised the luminance in a Levels adjustment.

I will be messing around with this one using different methods for controlling the tones. Comments welcome. Thanks.

Canon 1D mark III, 600mm + 2xTC (1200mm)
1/500 sec, f/13
Mode: Manual
Metering: Evaluative
ISO: 800
Flash: External E-TTL High speed sync
Flash exp comp: +1

Desmond Chan
06-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Hey Robert, no macro expert here but I like the colors and the composition. Perhaps the eyes could be a bit sharper? Not sure if it's possible to get everything sharp from one tip of the wing to another.

BTW, thanks for sharing your post-processing trick!

Tim Vidrine
06-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Robert, great capture of a male four-spotted pennant (Brachymesia gravida) and at 1200mm! Thanks for sharing your tip. I have a couple of images I will try it on.

Robert Amoruso
06-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks Tim for the ID. 600mm with a 2xTC is my normal macro lens. I forgot my extension tubes and would have been using them too.

Desmond, it seems to me that dragon fly eyes never look sharp. In this case I was focused with the central sensor right on the dragonfly and made 20 or so images to be sure of getting critical sharpness. I am interested in what the other macro photographers think about that.

Glad the processing tip was useful to you all. I like to share the less ordinary processing steps.

Christina Evans
06-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Robert -- very nice Four-spotted Pennant. For future IDs -- if you see the four white stigmas on a dragonfly here in Florida, that's what it will be. These pennants can look very different in color depending on their age and sex, so can be helpful to know that.

The eye looks pretty good to me here. I have noticed that the times I've shot dragonflies using a big lens and TC (in my case that means a 500mm) I don't feel as if I get quite the sharpness I get with a macro lens -- I still like to use that set up occasionally though -- easier to get "close" and can be good for background bokeh!

John Cooper
06-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Hi Robert, A lovely sharp image of this attractive dragonfly, and the uniform shallow DOF on all 4 wing-tips seems to add to the overall impact.
Your PS technique though is a bit beyond me ;)

Alfred Forns
06-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Stunning image Robert I like it a lot !!! Might want to try next time using a polorizer filter It does a good job on the hot spots and is a good alternative to using diffusers (not as good) I've had the best luck waiting for clouds overhead.

btw don't you have a 200-400? Its the perfect Dragon lens .. no tubes for full frame Dflies !!!

Gus Cobos
06-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Fantastic image Robert,
I like the sharp details on the wings...:)

Blake Shadle
06-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Really nice work, Robert. I love the colors and composition. The work you did on the perch paid off, it's very attractive element of the image.

Robert Amoruso
06-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Stunning image Robert I like it a lot !!! Might want to try next time using a polorizer filter It does a good job on the hot spots and is a good alternative to using diffusers (not as good) I've had the best luck waiting for clouds overhead.

btw don't you have a 200-400? Its the perfect Dragon lens .. no tubes for full frame Dflies !!!

Nikon was not with me that day. I was traveling light. I was not expecting the Dragonflies that morning but will have it with me this point forward. I have the polarizer for the 200-400 so it makes sense for me to use it for them with it in. Thanks for the suggestion.

Robert Amoruso
06-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Robert -- very nice Four-spotted Pennant. For future IDs -- if you see the four white stigmas on a dragonfly here in Florida, that's what it will be. These pennants can look very different in color depending on their age and sex, so can be helpful to know that.

The eye looks pretty good to me here. I have noticed that the times I've shot dragonflies using a big lens and TC (in my case that means a 500mm) I don't feel as if I get quite the sharpness I get with a macro lens -- I still like to use that set up occasionally though -- easier to get "close" and can be good for background bokeh!

Christina,

Thanks for the additional ID info - I did not know any one this. Very helpful indeed. Also thanks for the feedback on the head focus. When I see the hairs sharp, I have to wonder what is going on. I am going to take Alfred's suggestion and use the Nikon D300 + 200-400VR next time.

Robert Amoruso
06-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Hi Robert, A lovely sharp image of this attractive dragonfly, and the uniform shallow DOF on all 4 wing-tips seems to add to the overall impact.
Your PS technique though is a bit beyond me ;)

I will have to put together a more detail tutorial on how I did that. Thanks for inquiring about it John.

Robert Amoruso
06-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Really nice work, Robert. I love the colors and composition. The work you did on the perch paid off, it's very attractive element of the image.

Thanks Blake. John Cooper wondered about the process I explained and I think a tutorial may be in order. I will work on it.

Mike Moats
06-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey Robert very well done. You should do more macro.