PDA

View Full Version : Theme Snowy Egret and catch

Mike Poole
06-14-2015, 11:01 AM

A rainy and overcast day on North Beach at Fort Desoto gave me the opportunity to try and retain more detail in the white birds present, so I watched this snowy egret fishing for a while.

I've played with various crops, and there is more to the left side available for the more traditional landscape crop, but for some reason I prefer it as a vertical. Always open for a change of mind though!

I was trying to keep the ISO down but in hindsight should have gone higher for a faster shutter speed as after straight after this he dropped the fish and tried to catch it in mid air - that one is a much nicer pose but 'artistically blurred'

Canon 5d3
500mm f4is
ISO 1250
1/800th f4

adrian dancy
06-14-2015, 03:06 PM
A dreamy quality and drama rolled into one....a stunning image Mike.

Warren Spreng
06-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Excellent, and I agree about the dreamy quality, beautiful image.

christopher galeski
06-15-2015, 02:22 AM
very nice,sharp,some nice detail in the whites,and the fish facing the right way showing the eye is a bonus.TFS.

Bill Nuttall
06-15-2015, 03:39 AM
Really good Mike ...... image gives a wonderful feeling to the situation

even on my Laptop exposure and detail etc., look perfect

Satish Ranadive
06-15-2015, 05:53 AM
Excellent image. Superb exposures in whites. Very nice pose with raised foot and fish in the beak.
Mike, Love the frame.

Regards,
Satish.

Daniel Cadieux
06-15-2015, 09:46 AM
I love the pose and wiggling fish. Neat dreamy effect overall. I was going to suggest that I would have preferred a landscape comp so I am glad you do have to canvas to add back (and trim some off the bottom). Highly subjective of course!

William Dickson
06-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Very nice Mike. I love the 'dreamy' look about it. Great colours throughout.

Will

Sidharth Kodikal
06-15-2015, 05:46 PM
Echo all the positive comments above Mike. Love the action and the feel to this image. The vertical comp is working nicely for me here.

Stu Bowie
06-16-2015, 01:33 AM
Hi Mike, well done on showing off the whites here, excellent exposure, and love the raised foot. The wriggling fish with flying droplets adds a lot to the image, and although your comp works well, I would like to see a landscape comp too. Before reading Dan's comment, I agree taking off the bottom wont harm the image.

Jim Crosswell
06-16-2015, 10:02 AM
I like the exposure, catch, HA and mood of the image. I too agree with taking some off the bottom. Excellent image Mike!

Jonathan Ashton
06-16-2015, 12:18 PM
Lovely atmospheric shot, I agree with the landscape suggestions, those radiating droplets are really eye catching - well done.

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-17-2015, 07:00 AM
For me, a landscape comp would be stronger. I am fine with your SS used, as the movement in the prey really adds some dynamics!
Well done and TFS. :cheers:

Joseph Przybyla
06-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Wonderful Ft. Desoto light... lovely image, Mike. I think I would work it both ways, I like this a lot, but I would also like to see what landscape would look like. Dottie and I talked about going to Ft. Desoto again sooner rather than later. Thank you for sharing.

Mike Poole
06-17-2015, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all the comments, I'll post a landscape version when I finish working nights this weekend!

Mike