PDA

View Full Version : Swift Long Winged Skimmer (or Blue Dasher) and close up

Warren Spreng
06-14-2015, 06:33 AM
I found this one difficult to definitively identify due to differences in my insect keys. From Kaufman the description better fits the Swift Long Winged Skimmer. This one allowed me to get in close so I'm including a close up to show the fine hairs as well. Canon T3i, Canon 60 mm macro, ISO 800, 1/640 at f/8.0

Steve Maxson
06-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Hi Warren. I wasn't familiar with the swift long-winged skimmer so I did a little checking. It seems that this and the blue dasher are actually the same species (Pachydiplax longipennis). It's just that it has more than one common name. :S3: The dragonfly is nicely captured with good sharpness on the head and thorax. The abdomen is not quite as sharp, but not a deal breaker. The large bright area of the background is drawing my eye - not much you can do about that. Toning down the bright areas of the perch and running some selective NR on the background are a couple tweaks that would make this image even stronger.

Warren Spreng
06-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks Steve, I found that out about the two common names after posting. I thought the illustrations from the different books looked an awful lot alike! That flat stone in the background was a real pain, I contorted my body on my little dock to try and get the fly with a different background but this ended up being the best overall angle. I may try to reduce the brightness on that and I'll try a little extra NR for the BG. Thanks for the suggestions!

OK, better or worse? I reduced the brightness on the rock, did some additional selective NR on the background to get rid of that gradient on the left side of the rock.

Steve Maxson
06-15-2015, 06:33 PM
The repost is clearly an improvement! :S3:

Warren Spreng
06-15-2015, 10:16 PM
Thanks Steve!

Diane Miller
06-18-2015, 11:43 AM
Gorgeous subject, and amazing sharpness! Amazing you got close enough to use a 60mm. Hope you'll have some great chances for this species against a simpler BG.

Warren Spreng
06-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Gorgeous subject, and amazing sharpness! Amazing you got close enough to use a 60mm. Hope you'll have some great chances for this species against a simpler BG.

Thanks! Yeah, finding a simple BG around this pond is tough to find! I'm really hoping to catch a male Widow Skimmer and get this close. They have gorgeous wings!