PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Fishing

Robert Kimbrell
06-13-2015, 07:07 PM
I Captured this Osprey while I was set up shooting a Reddish Egret. Not at all uncommon to see an Osprey Splash, but this is the closest I have ever seen. He had no problem taking flight quickly with this big fish.
1Dx 600II
1/1600, F7.1 Iso 1600
~20% crop for comp.

Daniel Cadieux
06-13-2015, 07:24 PM
What an amazing point of view for this Osprey splash down!! You were at the right place at the right time...but you kept your composure and got it in the bag! The only thing I could suggest is darkening the pupils, but this is such a great image....some much impact. Even the doomed fish's expression is adding to the drama. Congrats man.

Marina Scarr
06-13-2015, 08:44 PM
This is one heck of an image, Robert, one of the best I have seen of this behavior/action. Love the wing spread, the riveting eyes, the huge talons and the poor prey. Please let us know how you captured this.

christopher galeski
06-14-2015, 04:04 AM
good action caught here Robert,excuse the pun,as been said above,the fishes mouth open adds,well done.

Lorant Voros
06-14-2015, 06:39 AM
Now, that is when you say the exact moment is captured. I can feel the shock of the fish with the open mouth. Fantastic image. I'd also like to hear the story behind the picture.

Robert Kimbrell
06-14-2015, 08:04 AM
This is one heck of an image, Robert, one of the best I have seen of this behavior/action. Love the wing spread, the riveting eyes, the huge talons and the poor prey. Please let us know how you captured this.
I appreciate the helpful comments. This shot was taken at Tiger Tail Beach. I was kneeling in knee high water with camera on tripod about 18 inches above the waterline, I was busy shooting a Reddish Egret who's breeding colors are in decline. Camera in Manual, No bait was used, but there were fishermen in the area with a cast net. Suddenly this this Osprey stalled overhead, There was no way I was gong to track him if he decided to dive, so I pointed to the suspected impact zone fully thinking he would abandon. The picture may depict an Eagle like snatch, but this was a full on splash. This was the 13th shot of the spray as he was taking flight. The first shots look like a bathing shot as the fish is obscured by all the splash. I will post another soon.
Thanks for the comment on the eye Daniel, I can,t really see it on the Jpeg, but the raw file shows a little nictitating membrane issue on this shot. I will work on it.

Mike Poole
06-14-2015, 10:34 AM
This really is a superb shot Robert. It has so many great individual action moments that have come together the head on view, the water droplets, the stare, wing position wit the added blur on the wing tips, and of course the expression of the unfortunate fish.

Joseph Przybyla
06-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Wonderful capture Robert, thank you for sharing.

Warren Spreng
06-14-2015, 03:52 PM
What a catch! For both you and the bird!:bg3:

Sidharth Kodikal
06-14-2015, 06:48 PM
Terrific action, and the shooting angle takes this over the top!

Stu Bowie
06-16-2015, 01:50 AM
Hi Robert, you absolutely nailed this one. We normally see images from side on, and some are even baited, but this head on capture says it all. Very well timed, and love the symmetrical wing positions. Congrats on this fine capture.

Gerald Kelberg
06-16-2015, 02:43 AM
This is a super image, Robert! I've really enjoyed many of your Reddish Egret images, but this really blows me away. The point of view. The symmetry of the wings. The total action. I don't think I have ever seen a better Osprey image.

Gerald

Jim Crosswell
06-16-2015, 12:36 PM
Amazing image Robert! Perfectly timed and executed.

Ivan Ellison
06-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Amazing image . Love everything about it, one of the best I have seen. Well done and tfs

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-17-2015, 06:56 AM
Agree with Daniel about pupil.
What a killer killing shot mate.
Hats off!
TFS!

Robert Kimbrell
06-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Thanks again for the feedback, It will help in processing the others in this series.

Mike Singh
06-16-2017, 10:07 AM
Awesome!