PDA

View Full Version : Teneral Common blue damselfly & exuvia

Jonathan Ashton
06-13-2015, 09:35 AM
Hand held lying prone, Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L 11 & 1.4TC 111 Auto ISO 400 +0.3 1/400 sec f11
I have to confess I took this image of the teneral damselfly and I didn't even notice the exuvia until I saw the image on my computer monitor - old age or what?? I was so preoccupied with the wings because the damsel was just beginning to open them (well that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!)
All C&C welcome.

Warren Spreng
06-14-2015, 05:46 AM
Interesting shot Johnathan, the colors of the subject closely match the surroundings. It might be my eyes but the focus appears to be sharper on the leaf than on the fly itself. Love the overall color palette.

Jonathan Ashton
06-14-2015, 04:10 PM
Interesting shot Johnathan, the colors of the subject closely match the surroundings. It might be my eyes but the focus appears to be sharper on the leaf than on the fly itself. Love the overall color palette.

I think that is due to the lack of colour and texture in the young damsel, I have checked the focal point and it is definitely on the damsel - on the thorax, I chose this point to try to ensure the head and tail ends were as sharp as I could get them. Possibly it may have looked sharper if I had chosen an image with the focal point actually on the head but then the tail end would have been soft.

Warren Spreng
06-14-2015, 06:22 PM
I think that is due to the lack of colour and texture in the young damsel, I have checked the focal point and it is definitely on the damsel - on the thorax, I chose this point to try to ensure the head and tail ends were as sharp as I could get them. Possibly it may have looked sharper if I had chosen an image with the focal point actually on the head but then the tail end would have been soft.

Looking at it again I see that it is how you describe it. It has a very delicate quality to it.

Diane Miller
06-18-2015, 11:38 AM
Interesting capture. And I just noticed the little bug in the LL. I think a crop from the top and right would be interesting to compare.