PDA

View Full Version : American Alligator - Viera Wetlands

Robert Amoruso
06-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Made this weekend at Viera Wetlands, the wetlands is developing quite a population of gators.

Flash is providing a good portion of the illumination on the gator with the shutter speed chosen to give the correct ambient light exposure. Even though I use Manual most of the time, if I am just photographing against a water or sky background pre-dawn, I will use +2 as a starting point in AV Automatic giving me the correct BG exposure.

I did do a gray point balance on the image. The warm color is due to the sunrise and not PS. Shadow/Highlight to open up the gator's shadows more. Clean up a bit of junk in the water. I love the definition and reflection of the back especially.

Canon 1D mark III, 600mm + 1.4xTC (840mm)
1/125 sec, f/5.6
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative
Exp comp: +1 2/3
ISO: 160
Flash: External E-TTL
Flash exp comp: +3

I posted a traditional crop in the Wildlife forum. Take a look and see which you like better.
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=90729

Steve Maxson
06-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi Robert. I just commented on your other version in the wildlife forum. Picking between the two is very subjective for me as they both work, IMO. I would vote for the more traditional version, but I expect others may disagree.

Gus Cobos
06-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Robert,
I like it the way it is...:) This is one killer image...:eek:

Fred J. Lord
06-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Guess that's because I'm not… skinny that is.

Love the pano version although the traditional framing is always available for that certain wall someone might have to fill.

Fred

Robert Amoruso
06-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Good joke.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate getting feedback to help me discern the best presentation for images like this.

David Kennedy
06-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Robert,
I would probably also vote for the image with more "sky" that you posted in wildlife. I think the centered symmetry might be a little too perfect in this presentation, whereas the version with more pink at the top helps to break that up and actually adds some interest, even if it is just empty water.

Grady Weed
06-04-2008, 02:50 PM
I think I like this one by far. The pano crop fits the subject and makes it look longer, which they are, long.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I like the composition and light in this one. I'm wondering why the catchlight in the reflection is more distinct than in the eye itself.

Blake Shadle
06-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Nope, I pick the pano version. It's a bit more out of the box, and the pano really accentuates the length of the gator (which you were probably going for when you tried the pano crop)... either way, nice image Robert!

Paul Marcellini
06-12-2008, 07:03 PM
I never really shoot gators, cause most shots look the same. But this really pops. Nicely done. The water is a beautiful complement to the detail in the gator.