PDA

View Full Version : Low Flying Amber Wing

Warren Spreng
06-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Just can't get the perfect perch with these but will keep trying! Kind of interesting patterns on the rock and how the foreground wings are OOF but their shadows are in focus. These are tiny, active fliers and only land for a moment so snapped away when this one alighted for about 10 seconds! Canon T3i, Canon 60mm Macro, ISO800, 1/250 at f/8.0, handheld, AF.

MiroslavMaric
06-13-2015, 12:31 AM
Hi Warren,

Like the composition and colors balance. It looks that details of the body is a bit soft. The sharp pattern on the rock is interesting but it moves my eyes from dragonfly. If mine I would try to add some soft blur with grain to top left half of BG (I guess this is water). TFS.

Cheers,
Miro

Warren Spreng
06-13-2015, 05:17 AM
Hi Warren,

Like the composition and colors balance. It looks that details of the body is a bit soft. The sharp pattern on the rock is interesting but it moves my eyes from dragonfly. If mine I would try to add some soft blur with grain to top left half of BG (I guess this is water). TFS.

Cheers,
Miro

That's a great point about the rock Miro, there are some better perches that hang out over the water I'm going to set up by with a tripod as they often briefly alight on the blades. The more I view this now I also feel that the rock under the wings is distracting from the structure as well.

Diane Miller
06-18-2015, 11:34 AM
Incredible color on the wings! I find the various textures and focal points to be quite interesting -- maybe not the textbook shot, but a successful, different one. Sounds like a very difficult subject. Hope to see more.

Warren Spreng
06-19-2015, 02:19 PM
These are much smaller than many of the dragonflies and I have been trying to catch them in the air with limited success. They do tend to hover in groups so I think setting up with a tripod and just snapping with a fixed focus is going to be my best bet on these fast flying little guys.