Rachel Hollander
06-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Taken in Yellowstone in February.

Canon 7D2
100-400 II @ 400mm
1/800
f5.6
ISO 1600
HH, slight crop for comp, converted in Silver Efex, selective burning, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

haseeb badar
06-09-2015, 02:17 AM
Hi Rachel -- What terrific details you have managed to extract ! crisp image , make me feel I can touch and feel the RAM ! The mangled fur below its neck gives an impression if someone was actually caressing it with fingers :) !

Both the tips of its horn looks damaged ! is it due to a fight? and also there appears to be some kind of openings on its lower cheek , is it injured ? or they happen to possess the same ? i am not familiar with the subject hence so many questions :)

Btw i would love to see a color version of the same !! TFS Rachel !

Andre Pretorius
06-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Hi Rachel

Comp and eye contact works!
The pose with blade of grass in mouth makes me think of a candid moment frozen in time, almost a stolen one..
Love his rugged look.
Well processed, D&B layer very effective.
Share Haseeb's quest about colour version, although the B&W image very effective.

Gabriela Plesea
06-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Dear Rachel,

This B/W has so many "colours" in it... works for me 100%.

Beautiful detail, sharpness is great, those big (and tattered) horns just awesome. Nice expression from the subject and I love the eye. I also like the space, and what looks like snow in the BG.

Picture perfect Rachel, love everything here, well framed and presented and looks effortless - as expected from you:w3

Superb work, makes me want to go and process something but it is already 10:31 pm and all I managed to do tonight is view, enjoy, comment, and wonder at the amazing diversity in nature...

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
06-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Thanks Haseeb, Andre and Gabriela. I'm glad you like this one. I'll post the color version someday but in a separate thread because this is all about this month's theme, B&W/Toned Images.:w3

Haseeb, as far as I understand it the horns get broken in fights but also by rubbing against trees and rocks if the horns get so long as to block their sight. I think the areas you referred to are just patches. There were no visible wounds.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Loi Nguyen
06-11-2015, 01:56 AM
Rachel, I'm a novice in B&W, so please tie my comment with a grain of salt. I find the near white BG is just a bit too sterile here. May be try warming it up a little bit. Loi

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-11-2015, 08:27 PM
I feel you could make the couple of loose grass stems (except the one being chewed) go poof! And disappear.
I know what Loi means, the BG looks a bit too bright. If there is a way to make it a little less strong, that would rock.

Great portrait Rachel, thanks for sharing. :S3:

Rachel Hollander
06-12-2015, 06:52 AM
Thanks Loi and Akos. I can burn the bg slightly. Akos - as a general rule I do not clone.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
06-12-2015, 05:47 PM
Effective portrait here Rachel - and good one for the theme...
Almost looks like something from a horror flick to me, wouldn't want to see this dude in monochrome when I wake in the middle of the night :eek3::t3

Stu Bowie
06-16-2015, 02:26 AM
Hi Rachel, great conversion, and I like the detail that you have brought out. Good eye contact, and I like the chewing behaviour with the single blade of grass. Cool how the horn 'curls' over the top of the ear.

Rachel Hollander
06-16-2015, 08:01 AM
Thanks Morkel and Stu, much appreciated.

Andreas Liedmann
06-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Hi Rachel very late to the party , lots been said so i keep it short .....:5 :wave:

TFS Andreas