PDA

View Full Version : Hoverfly on an Astrantia

Mike Hitchen
06-08-2015, 03:20 AM
Gong against the usual tenets of depth of field with macro shots, I experimented with shallow DOF and managed to get this shot of a hoverfly looming out of the background. It could maybe have done with a bit narrower aperture to get the full face in focus. I am not sure I want to crop top or bottom because I will lose the little florets and if I crop off the left the image will start to become too square.
Your thoughts, as ever are appreciated

Canon 7D2, 100mm macro
ISO400,
f2.8
1/1500 sec
Handheld

Allen Sparks
06-08-2015, 04:17 AM
Hi Mike,

Definitely a different take as you said. I like the color contrast of the fly with the flowers. Helps to focus my attention on the sharp area of the hoverfly. I am wondering if cropping a little from both sides to eliminate oof areas would also be an effective take on this. I am kind of wishing for a full facial view of the hoverfly to see both eyes in sharp focus but I realize they don't take instructions too well :S3:.

Allen

Diane Miller
06-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Different and effective! Top and bottom need to stay as they are! I might darken the stalk-like light areas near the UR, and clone out the bright areas on the UR vertical border (obviously just overlooked).

You might consider a gradient burn from the left to darken that rather featureless light area.

Mike Hitchen
06-09-2015, 02:00 AM
Thankyou both for yoru comments.
A gradient burn sounds an interesting idea, Diane.

David Cowling
06-09-2015, 07:02 AM
Good to try something different Mike. The shallow DOF works really well for the flower head but I would like to see just a little more of the Hoverfly in focus and with a little more light to the head. A great Idea though.