PDA

View Full Version : One Amazing and Very Cute Young Lioness...

Gabriela Plesea
06-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Hello Everyone!

This was taken in 2013...1/320s, low light (very early morning), some ridiculously high ISO... F4, Nikon D3S, 500mm...this youngster came so close to the vehicle that I had to move back on my seat and shoot through the window resting my equipment on my knees. The pose is priceless...POV was great. No special effects, just basic PP (and yes I have learnt a great deal since 2013, but came across this frame as I was looking through my folders and thought I had to share:)

Mom was around and so was one of her siblings, this girl approached the vehicle and stared at my lens for some time, wide -eyed, eventually Mom decided she was "too close" and convinced her to move away with a swift paw movement...They eventually disappeared in the high grass and probably went hunting, this is one of those Kalahari moments I shall never forget...

Those lions have never been hunted or threatened by humans, adults are relaxed in human company while the young are just curious...As long as you do not break the outline of the vehicle you are really safe. This is one of the most delightful encounters with lions I have had so far, hopefully more to come...

Hope you have a great Monday,

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-07-2015, 03:23 PM
What an awesome experience I say!
Wish I were there for sure.
An incredibly lovely image and I cannot see any issues with your PP skills.
It's the Queen's birthday public holiday in most of Australia today, so no work. :t3

Diane Miller
06-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Wonderful!!! What a look, and she is just gorgeous! You captured her perfectly! They are lucky to have a natural environment safe from humans.

Joseph Przybyla
06-08-2015, 05:58 AM
Lovely image and description/story, thank you for sharing Gabriela.

Norm Dulak
06-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Wonderful story and photo!

Gabriela Plesea
06-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Only a pleasure, dear friends. Maybe I am posting too many lion images but I love them lions so, so much...This was truly special - so close, and so intimate.

Just saw the news about a lady having been killed by a lion in a Lion Park in South Africa - very sad this happened, in a natural environment where those animals have never had experience with being hunted or having been fed by humans, the species does not see humans as a threat, neither as a a source of food - they tolerate us as long as we do not interfere with their environment. I have only had wonderful experiences with lions, this is just one of them. Hope to share more in the future, thank you so much for viewing and your kind comments...

Warmest regards,

Christopher Miller
06-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Beautiful image, Gabriela! I love those wide eyes! :S3:

Gabriela Plesea
06-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Thank you so much Christopher, I love them too! The best thing about this image was, when I enlarged it, I could see the reflection of the vehicle window I was shooting from:)

Kind regards,