PDA

View Full Version : Large Prints from D3

Howard Burkert
06-01-2008, 08:05 AM
I hope I am posting this question in the right section. I am seeking out information about large prints made from the Nikon D3 files. How large has anyone made made prints from this camera? Thanks for any imput.
Howard Burkert.

Alfred Forns
06-01-2008, 08:22 AM
Howard I'm sure you could make a 4x6 (foot) print is you want !!!!!

Just need to have a solid image and good processing. I have not had any large printed form my D3 but have from other cameras. From the MK2 prints 3x4.5 look very good !!!

Howard Burkert
06-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Alfred, Thanks for your imput. I also sell, 30 ax 40 and 50 inch prints from D2Xs files converted in NX, and they are stunning. I just need to be sure the D3 will do as good as the D2Xs on large prints. I don't understand the concept.. same file size but a larger sensor. Maybe the quality of the sensor?
Thanks Alfred.

William Malacarne
06-01-2008, 11:20 AM
The one with the larger sensor will be much better with noise because the pixels are not as tightly packaged.

Bill

Alfred Forns
06-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Howard the D2x prints are much inferior to the D3. Not even close.

George DeCamp
06-01-2008, 07:38 PM
I agree with Al and Bill. Naturally we are talking about everything being equal here with the file. That is to say, same field of view and not cropped to a 1.5 crop like the D2x. If you are closer or have a larger lens and get the same exact image with the D3 that image will print better because of the larger pixel size.That is what Bill is saying above too.

The prints rock!!

Howard Burkert
06-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks to all for the comments. Can't wait to get my hands on one soon, and the sharing of your information has helped me justify my need to update.
Howard.