PDA

View Full Version : Puffin

Jonathan Ashton
06-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Hand held Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L IS Auto ISO 640 +1.0 1/2000 sec f7.1
I have to admit the sky is completely false, it was pure white, and I am not too sure about the blue which I brushed on. The problem is I know it is false WDYT?
.......Or should I say what did you think before you read it was false?
All comments & suggestions welcome

William Dickson
06-04-2015, 03:49 PM
The sky's ok Jon. Nice controls of the blacks and whites and a lovely pose. Well done

Will

Karl Egressy
06-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Nice image, you did an excellent work with the background, Jon.

Ian Wilson
06-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Background looks pretty convincing to me Jonathan. I don't have any concerns about recovering some blue from a white sky by pulling back the red and green from the highlights as long as it is done competently. You probably know that the blue sky standard for digital reproduction is around R = 135, G = 206 and B = 235 DN. Good job overall. Regards, Ian

Marina Scarr
06-04-2015, 10:28 PM
I can honestly say I had no idea the sky was unnatural. You did a good job by adding white to it in places which made it look good. Your exposure on the puffin looks very good.

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-05-2015, 01:18 AM
I think as long as you disclose the PP you've taken you're not just being honest to the viewers, but most importantly yourself.
I would never in my life have guessed you faked the sky. It looks pretty good, though I see the white puffs in a kind of circular pattern in front of the puffin.
Are you able to get a bit more out of its eye? It just looks a little "lifeless". If you know what I mean.
Beautiful flight shot in itself Jonathan.

Jonathan Ashton
06-05-2015, 01:32 AM
Thanks very much everyone, glad you liked it and the background.
The RGB numbers are very useful, thank you I an.
Akos, I agree the eye was a bit lifeless and I have brightened it up but it is easy to overdo it, and looking at the light on the plumage I don't think it would look right to make it much brighter.

Daniel Cadieux
06-05-2015, 06:10 AM
Yees, you did a good job with the sky indeed! Nice flight pose overall...I suppose a near wing raised higher would have been ideal, but still OK as is. I think you can lighten that eye more without it looking un-natural.

stuart wanuck
06-05-2015, 04:37 PM
nice capture

Robert Kimbrell
06-06-2015, 06:24 AM
Jonathan, Yes the sky very natural, I would not have noticed it. A pleasing image all around.