PDA

View Full Version : Mink With It's Prize Catch...

Daniel Cadieux
06-03-2015, 07:18 PM
I had a chance encounter with this beautiful mink and his snack (a Chipmunk). It swam across a pond, then hopped onto this log for a few moments before taking off again on foot. For the full story and additional images check out the thread in the "Story Sequences" forum here:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/128977-Mink-with-Chipmunk-Surprise-Encounter

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/200s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, FF, warmed up the WB and darkened the BG (which is water), darkened some bright highlights on the "perch".

Rachel Hollander
06-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Hi Daniel - I always like your wildlife images and you usually post unusual animals. This is no exception. Great low pov and detail. The comp works well. Doesn't look like a very appetizing meal but then again we don't have to eat it.

TFS,
Rachel

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-04-2015, 01:44 AM
Seen the sequence. Great to read the behind the scenes of this shot. Really good work mate.
Maybe consider cropping a bit off the top, that's all for me.
Really nicely done Daniel! :S3:

haseeb badar
06-04-2015, 04:26 AM
Hi Daniel -- This is absolutely brilliant ! so brilliantly done this is ! some extraordinary details here , enjoyed this immensely !! TFS !

Marc Mol
06-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Good to see something different again from you Daniel, I like the scene depicted here and your "sequence" gives us good insight. :w3

You've handled & processed the lighting quite well.

TFS

Gabriela Plesea
06-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Wonderful capture Daniel, and such an usual sighting!

As I said in my comment to your Sequence, this is Reality in Nature, Wildlife at its best. I admit to have felt a sense of loss seeing the little chipmunk drowning under the water and then being devoured, at the same time I recognise the struggle for survival in Nature and find myself lucky to witness this as captured through your lens. Would not change anything here, and although I have never "met" this character in real life, the colours seem just right to me and I like the composition and presentation overall - very dramatic, thought provoking, so special and unique - thank you so much for sharing, appreciate it:cheers:

Warmest regards,

Loi Nguyen
06-04-2015, 06:37 PM
Very nice Daniel. Image of a species we don't see often. You nailed the exposure and details here. Loi