PDA

View Full Version : Foxy failure

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-03-2015, 05:50 AM
While the humble red fox (Vulpes vulpes) is an incredible predator capable of adapting to any place and make a living, they are mostly hated in Australia for they are an introduced pest. However, yours truly can still only have the heart to shoot them with a camera, not a gun.

On my way to a raptor location one afternoon, I saw this fox hunting in tall grass beside the road, well, some distance back. I was able to quickly slip the 2x onto my 500/4L IS (always ready beside me on the passenger seat) and use a beanbag to stabilise the rig on the car roof. As I tracked the fox in the grass, I noted the tail suddenly stiffen and I figured that must mean it is excited about something so I was ready to fire away. My hunch was spot on!!!!

All shot with a 1D3, 500/4L (MkI), MkII 2x, ISO1600, f/11, 1/2000th. Didn't crop anything, it was painful enough to scurry five pics together and no noise reduction applied (Gabriela). Like Marina said on her Swallow-tailed Kite shots, I tend to like one of a sequencel; generally speaking.

hope you enjoy this gorgeous lady (I think she is a female) and sadly for her she failed to catch anything this time.

Gabriela Plesea
06-03-2015, 07:23 AM
Awww, check that swing of the tail, and those legs bundled up so nicely underneath! Great pounce!

Thank you so much Akos - we love to see images like those here, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the story as well.

I am afraid your gorgeous Foxy lady is in fact an awesome and very fit looking male, LOL! Some clues under its tail, please look carefully:bg3:

I just love this gorgeous fox leaping, looks like he is using the tail as a "rudder" here, a very elegant leap, body stretched to the limit in frame no 2. makes me think of an arrow:)

Just wonderful Akos, I thank you so much for sharing, really appreciate it:5

Kind regards,

Diane Miller
06-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Gorgeous capture of their graceful pounce! I love foxes but rarely see one, although occasionally I find piles of feathers, apparently from a neighbor's chickens. I've seen coyotes do this, too, but never have a camera with me.

Rachel Hollander
06-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Hi Akos - The sequence works really well despite the fox never cutting you a break and giving you a better angle.

TFS,
Rachel