PDA

View Full Version : Shags

Jonathan Ashton
06-03-2015, 04:33 AM
Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L IS 11 Auto ISO 800 + 0.3. 1/800 sec f7.1
I kept willing the bird on the right to turn a little more but it just wasn't to be. I took a number of images focusing on both birds I selected this one I thought it gave the best compromise in terms of composition, though I accept the head of the bird on the left would look a little better if it were a tad sharper.
I was fascinated at the shags, I presume the male is presenting the white campion to the female to adorn the nest, on another site the male brought a branch that was genuinely at least six feet long but try as they might it just wouldn't weave into the nest!
All C&C welcome.

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-03-2015, 05:13 AM
Jonathan, I quite like what you had achieved. A very nice, tender moment and I honestly cannot see anything wrong with overall sharpness mate.
Cheers

gail bisson
06-03-2015, 04:54 PM
I agree with your self-critique but still a lovely image.
exposure is excellent with lots of good details in the blacks.
Gail

adrian dancy
06-03-2015, 06:31 PM
You did everything right. We can't make the birds do things to fit our imaginations....I'd still be chuffed and the image is saved that you can at least see the bird's bill ready to accept nest material....so story told:cheers:

Marina Scarr
06-05-2015, 10:35 PM
I can only imagine how much you were wishing the right bird would give you a little face!!! I love what you have captured here despite that not happening since the image still tells a wonderful story. You have great feather details here. I wish the far bird were sharper in the head. With a 1DX, there is no reason you couldn't have been shooting at ISO 3200 to give you more DOF in order to get both birds sharp. You could have easily shot at F11 and allowed auto ISO to do it's thing.

Jonathan Ashton
06-06-2015, 02:43 PM
I agree with you Marina it wouldn't have taken a second to change the aperture but I was so intent on catching the action and expecting that head to turn it just didn't occur to me at the time.