PDA

View Full Version : Resplendent Quetzal

Raymond Barlow
06-02-2015, 07:00 PM
We have been extremely lucky in Costa Rica. I just recently finished my 18th photo tour, I have been
all over the country, and still learning new techniques, and new places to go for bird photography.

Only on 1 tour, we did miss the quetzal, as this was during the "off" season., July.

One favourite here, a difficult shot to capture this bird nicely. Our guides allow only a 2 hour visit to the area, and
luck is needed to find the right perch, background, light, and have a good result.

I could have cloned out the branch above his head, but for me, it is about real nature, at least as much as possible... so, again, it is what it is.

Thanks for looking... we head back south soon! But I will keep posting a few CR shots before I go.

best wishes, thanks for looking.

Raymond
1/125s f/4.0 at 300.0mm iso320

Jim Crosswell
06-02-2015, 07:12 PM
I like the perch, flowing tail, details and composition. That tail can be a nightmare with a strong wind. Excellent image Raymond!

Bill Dix
06-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Certainly a tough bird to get well, with light, background, perch, pose all falling into place. And tough to compose. You did very nicely. I don't mind the branch above his head at all; it frames him well. I wish the branch through the tail weren't there, but as you say, it is what it is. Very nicely captured.

Ian Wilson
06-02-2015, 11:45 PM
A stunning bird well captured in its environment. No doubt you faced a lot of challenges getting everything to come together so nicely. Next time you should give yourself a break and go for a faster shutter speed. Regards,

Ian

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-03-2015, 05:17 AM
You may have dialled in a higher ISO and stop down a touch more. But it looks great as is Raymond.
I am sure whatever your (non-mentioned) :bg3: camera is, it could handle ISO800.
Keep it up mate, great work you're presenting.

Lorant Voros
06-03-2015, 09:30 AM
A bird I still wish to photograph one day. Great you included the tail and for sure you did well with the circumstances. I don't mind the branch above the bird at all. What camera did you use?:)

Raymond Barlow
06-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Thanks everyone.. Sorry, D800 + 200-400 vr1., Jobu Pro-gimbal head and an old gitzo 1340 tripod.

This shot was take a while back.. more then 2 years ago., back then I wasn't comfortable with high iso usage, and / or NR., as now I will shoot up to 5000 iso with this camera.
Considering the ss, I am happy with the shot, I have printed it large on 36" high paper, and the resolution is quite nice., just lucky the tail feathers are quite sharp.

Personally, I truly enjoy shooting low light, low iso, low ss, to me, the fun is in the challenge.., but iso 800 would have done well too, as suggested., I also would have tried 200 iso @ 1/60 if I had
more time., just for fun!

Thanks for the nice comments, and the constructive critique.

gail bisson
06-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Love the flowing tail and the terrific DOF at the aperture chosen.
Agree with you about the branch, it frames the bird nicely,
Gail

adrian dancy
06-03-2015, 06:37 PM
A well executed image. The branch is of no consequence.

Shawn Zierman
06-04-2015, 09:01 AM
So gorgeous! You manged all the elements in the frame so very well in regards to the overall composition....Will make a very fine framed image sir. Has a fairy tail feel to it. Nice to see your work here btw.

Raymond Barlow
06-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Thanks very much for the nice comments and suggestions, appreciated!