PDA

View Full Version : Owlfly

David Chauvin
06-01-2008, 04:21 AM
From a couple of mornings ago in an abandoned field near home.

30D, Sigma 180f3.5, 1.4x, 1/80 sec, f8, iso 100, EV-1/3, ambient light, full frame

David
South Louisiana

John Cooper
06-01-2008, 05:24 AM
A superb image David - the first time that I've seen this interesting species. Great detail, exposure and composition. Well done!!

Mike Moats
06-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Hey David, excellent comp, details and BG. Well done.

Ed Vatza
06-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Love the way the perch and the background work together on this one. I am just having a hard time getting a fix on the owlfly. The direction of the body and the wings confuse me. But hey, I am easily confused! :D Nice job.

David Chauvin
06-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Ed,,,,owlflies will assume this position to catch the sun to dry off the morning dew.

Gus Cobos
06-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Great composition, with fantastic details...love the tones of green...:D

Bob Allen
06-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Stunning image! Blurred background couldn't be better. The contrasting angles of plant and abdomen give it such visual interest. This is my kind of shot: artistically pleasing and scientifically accurate (I published an article on that subject). If I had a gentle critique to add, it would be that there is a bit too much cyan in the wings and body, a simple adjustment in Photoshop would take care of that before printing.

Looks to be a species of Ululodes. Unusual to see it at rest on Equisetum, the insect lives in shrublands and woodlands, the plant at waterway edges. Adults often rest head-down, in that pose, probably to mimic the plant. They have no defenses and might be a tasty snack for a feathered critter. See the family entry:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/4129