PDA

View Full Version : Snow Bunting

Geoffrey Montagu
06-01-2015, 09:01 AM
While looking over some of my images from June, 2012 Iceland trip, I came across this Snow Bunting in full breeding plumage. To be exact I was on Flatey island. C&C welcome.

D3s, Nikon 500mm, 1/1250, f 9.0, ISO 800, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

Daniel Cadieux
06-01-2015, 11:08 AM
I like the rocky habitat and lichens and flowers adding some nice colours. Good BG. Although you did not need full frontal lighting I do wish the sun had been a bit more to your back to light the throat area. The bird looks like it may have been dirty? The face is normally all white when in breeding plumage.

Geoffrey Montagu
06-01-2015, 01:59 PM
I like the rocky habitat and lichens and flowers adding some nice colours. Good BG. Although you did not need full frontal lighting I do wish the sun had been a bit more to your back to light the throat area. The bird looks like it may have been dirty? The face is normally all white when in breeding plumage.

Thanks Daniel, and I would also have loved to have had the sun behind me. I was in the process of photographing a Black Guillemot directly to the right and below. Out of the corner of my eye I saw this Snow Bunting fly overhead and land on the rocky outcropping. I was able to swing the lens around for several frames before he took off. You are correct regarding the face being all white in full breeding plumage. This one must have been on its way to full breeding.

Geoffrey

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-01-2015, 09:46 PM
The OOF vegetation with the exception of the pretty pink flowers is a bit of a bummer, but I would take this for a grab shot any day.
Good work Geoffrey.

Marina Scarr
06-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Love the vegetation, lichen, flowers and the grasses over on the right to balance the image. I would try to dodge the eye just a little bit to bring out the catch light that is already there. I think that would bring your bird a little more alive.

Geoffrey Montagu
06-02-2015, 09:50 AM
Love the vegetation, lichen, flowers and the grasses over on the right to balance the image. I would try to dodge the eye just a little bit to bring out the catch light that is already there. I think that would bring your bird a little more alive.

Thanks Marina. I had thought about making the catch light brighter and you've confirmed my thinking. It's a bit tricky with the catch light being so close to the edge, but I selected it with a tad of room around and brightened it. Subtle I know.

Geoffrey