PDA

View Full Version : Bumble bee sp.

Jonathan Ashton
05-31-2015, 05:20 PM
Tripod Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L 11 Auto ISO 2500, 1/1000 sec f16, almost straight from the DPP file I just brightened it a tad and raised the shadows 1 click, no noise reduction.
This shot as you see was taken using a tripod, I adopted a different approach this time deciding that it would be good practice to try to reduce some of the variables. I pre focused (manually) on the flower than moved it a tad guessing where the bee may be flying so now with the camera static the only variables were the flower in the breeze and the bee flying in.
Do you find the crop acceptable, I am keen to use this particular ratio?

Diane Miller
05-31-2015, 08:17 PM
The crop works for me. Very nice! Did you tweak the focus (manually or in AF) as the bee approached?

Jonathan Ashton
06-01-2015, 02:32 AM
Diane I have found that focus tweaking whilst the bee is in flight is a 50/50 situation, I am just as likely to focus in the wring direction as the right direction. If you look at the third flower head from the top (it has four hairs on it), I focused on the near surface and then just focused a tiny bit beyond - I guesstimated that then I would be about in the centre of the flower, then I just left the lens on manual focus, got the cable release out, sat down in a chair and had a glass of beer until the bees arrived..It didn't take long to work out this was preferable to following the bees from one flower to another:w3

Diane Miller
06-01-2015, 07:41 AM
That's exactly my working method in similar circumstances, although up here in California wine country its more likely to be a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc. I'll have to try the manual focus part next.... :w3

Jonathan Ashton
06-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Diane, Sauvignon blanc, beer or malt whisky all have the same beneficial effect:w3

Warren Spreng
06-02-2015, 06:05 AM
I really like the lighting in this one, and I'll have to try your static set up. I have been chasing these guys from flower to flower all week long with nothing decent to show for it! And not just because of the idea of having a beer (and maybe a cigar) while waiting for the bees to come to me! 😀

Mike Hitchen
06-02-2015, 06:12 AM
Nice shot Jonathan and well framed - the cropworks nicely IMO.

I agree that setting your self up in oneplace has its advantages expecially when the bees are plentiful and the flowers in full bloom. I find it is certainly worthwhile to sit and watch awhile and see if there are any patterns to behaviour.

David Cowling
06-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Nice one Jonathan, you are really making that 100-400 work for you! I like the way the bee is positioned in the frame and the slight hint of wing movement to show that the bee is actually flying.