PDA

View Full Version : Northern Watersnake

Geoffrey Montagu
05-31-2015, 10:37 AM
The Northern Watersnake is quite common at this time of year. I captured this image a couple of years ago as the snake was slithering down the base of a Willow tree into the water after it had been sunning itself. C&C welcome.

D3s, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 tc, 1/800, f 5.6, ISO 640, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

Gabriela Plesea
05-31-2015, 03:21 PM
Hello Geoffrey,

I so enjoy the variety in recent posts - this is one interesting capture of a Northern Watersnake, love the way the subject enters the frame and that "s" shape of its body, subject stands out nicely above water, head nice and sharp, visible movement there from the tongue.

I somehow wish for more DOF, easy to say and perhaps you did not have much time to experiment at the time but I love that alert eye...right now wondering what this would look like had you cropped closer to lose some of that OOF body? Worth a try IMO, I think the IQ is there and can handle it. A tad of blue below the snake's body some might find distracting, easy to remove if you like.

I am enjoying your contribution to this Forum and so looking forward to see more from you, these days I seem to spend more time viewing than doing any PP work but it's all quite exciting and I got to see and learn about so many new species, thank you so much for sharing, and I wish you a wonderful week ahead :cheers:

Rachel Hollander
06-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Hi Geoffrey - I had one of these scare me on a golf course a few years ago. Just wasn't expecting to see a snake. The first thing I thought of on viewing your image is that I wish for more dof. I like the sense of movement and the bit of reflection. It also might have been better if you were able to get a lower pov but I'm not sure what the shooting conditions were. Looking forward to seeing more of your wildlife images.

TFS,
Rachel

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-02-2015, 03:06 AM
For me a lower POV would be the best, but I understand that at times we make the best of an opportunity. Looks like there's a fish-like thingy near the curve of its body as it is entering the water. I'd do something there for sure and would consider a tighter crop as Gabriela suggested.

Marc Mol
06-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Something different here and good to see Geoff, I do agree on a lower POV if it was possible and a greater DOF would be beneficial also.

TFS

Geoffrey Montagu
06-04-2015, 09:44 AM
Thanks everyone. Possibly a lower point of view, but I was on a footbridge and not set up yet. I spotted the snake, had to lower the tripod legs, try to get below the lower railing, focus and shoot while having to back up because of the focal length. Lucky for me he was moving slowly.

Geoffrey