PDA

View Full Version : Getting started in Macro - Paper Wasp

Warren Spreng
05-31-2015, 07:19 AM
Just starting into Macro so all C&C welcomed. What a new world this type of photography opens up, a lot to learn and really takes patience but having a ball getting into it!

Canon T3i, Canon EF-S 60mm Macro, ISO 800, f/6.3, 1/1600 Handheld, AF, no flash. Shadows lightened in LR, additional sharpening, BG NR in PS CC.

Diane Miller
05-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Wow -- different and very nice, with great detail! I might try to lower some of the brighter areas in the BG, but they're not that distracting as is. Looks like it's been spitting tobacco, which adds a story element...

Keep on the journey -- macro is really challenging and fun.

Ron Conlon
05-31-2015, 01:48 PM
Welcome. You managed quite a bit of depth of field for that aperture, and have the most critical parts in focus. I might have gone with a slower shutter speed and stopped down to get even more. While bright light like you had makes capturing sharp, noiseless images possible, it also is a hard light (distinct shadows and specular highlights). There are various tricks to make the light softer in direct sunlight (diffused fill flash, reflectors, and putting the subject in slight shade with translucent plastic or white fabric, like from a white umbrella) when the bugs are active and behaving.

Warren Spreng
05-31-2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the comments Diane and Ron! Ron, that's some good advice, I do have a white umbrella set up that I'll give a try next time out, and thanks for the info on stopping it down and going with the slower shutter speed. That would have worked well here as she was in no real hurry to move working on that glob of goop she is holding onto. I have quite a few mud daubers in the area which should present a good challenge as they are very active and jet black which should be a challenge in itself. I also get Cicada Killers that dig around my pool which would fill an FOV with no problem! That one I'll definitely try a tripod and remote release to get as they are one scary wasp!

Jonathan Ashton
05-31-2015, 05:13 PM
A very nice shot and welcome to the macro forum Warren, this is a great start!. Given that the wasp appears to be on a curved blade of grass I think you have the optimal angle. The DOF is good as is the exposure. I have recetly been introduced to the white umbrella and if this is a subject that says put I think it would be admirably suited. I look forward to more.

Diane Miller
05-31-2015, 07:09 PM
There are some handy diffusion panels that unfold from a small circle to a large circle, by some clever topographic trickery that always amazes me.

A bit of wisdom about any diffusion device -- the closer you can hold it to the subject, the better the effect. Too far away and it is more just providing shading. Close up it provides a much nicer effect. It seems a little counter-intuitive but give it a try with something like a small pet toy (maybe hamster-scale) and you should see a difference. This may be more true for a flat panel than an umbrella, which I haven't tried. (Nobody in California owns one.)

Warren Spreng
05-31-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the additional input!