PDA

View Full Version : India

Raymond Barlow
05-30-2015, 05:46 AM

It's been a long time since I was involved with this forum, I had no major reason for leaving, just not enough time to participate properly.
I will try to keep up my involvement this time! So far the image quality that I see is outstanding, so congrats to all.
My best regards to Artie, and all the people who work hard to make this forum successful.

We recently completed a photo tour to India, this location is the famous Ranthambore national Park.

I have seen a lot in the last 10 years of wildlife photography, so hope I can suggest that these spectacular animals are really more amazing then anything
I have ever photographed.

Only 2 hours into our first safari, we pick up a track to an adult female and 3 of her cubs. One of my guests, George had never seen a wild tiger in his life, so this scene
with 2 cubs in full gallop across a grass beach was pretty amazing to see. Thanks to George for the great luck!

My 4th program to India is coming up in June, so more new stuff on the way.

Kind regards, and thanks for looking.

almost 0 adjustments in post., slight crop
1/1250s f/8.0 at 240.0mm iso1250

Rachel Hollander
05-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Hi Raymond - Welcome back! Please remember to include the equipment used and your EXIF data as well as any significant post processing in your intro. If there's a particular aspect of the image you want to discuss, let us know that too.

What a great sighting with the tigers out in the open and running. F8 and 1/1250 was sufficient to get both sharp. While it's not ideal to have the shoreline intersecting the heads, it's not a deal breaker for me. I did think it could use a slight boost so took it into PS and gave it a little boost in curves. WDYT?

It would be great to get your thoughts on other images. It's the best way for us all to learn from each other and fosters a community feeling. We recommend posting comments on at least 3-5 other wildlife images each time you post one of your own.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
05-30-2015, 09:41 AM
Hi Raymond -- Would love to see more of your images here , glad u r back ! I loved this moment and u have captured this very nicely. Being from India I can certainly echo ur thoughts and certainly the Tiger is a very beautiful animal to witness in the wild and photograph. Ranthambore had been a winner this season with relatively easy Tiger sightings compared to other Tiger sanctuaries in India. TFS !

Raymond Barlow
05-30-2015, 11:41 AM
Hi Raymond - Welcome back! Please remember to include the equipment used and your EXIF data as well as any significant post processing in your intro. If there's a particular aspect of the image you want to discuss, let us know that too.

What a great sighting with the tigers out in the open and running. F8 and 1/1250 was sufficient to get both sharp. While it's not ideal to have the shoreline intersecting the heads, it's not a deal breaker for me. I did think it could use a slight boost so took it into PS and gave it a little boost in curves. WDYT?

It would be great to get your thoughts on other images. It's the best way for us all to learn from each other and fosters a community feeling. We recommend posting comments on at least 3-5 other wildlife images each time you post one of your own.

TFS,
Rachel

Thanks for the welcome Rachel., I did just edit and post techs., I agree with all of your notes, wishing for a better bg, and I will do my fair share of commenting. I do see a slight difference with your edit, slightly better tones in the grass, etc. But I did need to look 3 times at each imge to see the difference.

I use a 27" iMac, brilliant screen resolution, one of my favourite pieces of equipment.

Thanks for taking the time to make your adjustments!

Its a matter of interpretation I think, when it come to all aspects of photography. Everyone does everything differently, from start to finish. Working with hundreds of photographers over the last 7 years, I find that there is no "right" way to do this, I just let people do their thing, and help if they ask.
My personal views on processing are the "keep it simple" theory. I do as much of the work outside as I possibly can, and spend maybe 1-2 minutes in post., then another minute to create 4 different sizes for the applications I use. Having said all that, I really do appreciate your comments!

thanks.

Andre Pretorius
05-31-2015, 04:39 AM
Hi Raymond

Would so love to see Tigers in the wild, bigger than any of our big cats..
Took the liberty of doing a 5min RP- Cropped at bottom a bit for comp, masked levels layer, masked curves layer- no adjustments only blending mode changed.
Selective sharpening for web.
WDYT?

Raymond Barlow
05-31-2015, 07:27 AM
Hi Raymond

Would so love to see Tigers in the wild, bigger than any of our big cats..
Took the liberty of doing a 5min RP- Cropped at bottom a bit for comp, masked levels layer, masked curves layer- no adjustments only blending mode changed.
Selective sharpening for web.
WDYT?

Nice work Andre, I like the improvements in contrast and sharpening., I also like the dimension ratio too. I do a standard 16/9 ratio for 99% of my edits,
mainly so they fit better when people copy my images for desktop backgrounds.

Very much appreciated.

Gabriela Plesea
05-31-2015, 11:23 AM
Dear Raymond,

A photographer's dream... this looks almost unreal to me - having not one, but two tigers chasing each other out in the open! I can only imagine the excitement, the trepidation, you and your guests must have been over the Moon with this:) I certainly would be.

I like the space in the frame and the subjects almost entirely off the ground, the fellow at the back about to pounce on his sibling - hope you have more from this sighting...

In terms of PP work I tend to agree with Rachel and Andre above, spending a few more minutes to apply a couple of tweaks in the right places can make a difference, especially when you have something so unique. I certainly look forward to see your next post, from me a warm welcome back to BPN Wildlife :cheers:

Kind regards,

Raymond Barlow
05-31-2015, 04:50 PM
Dear Raymond,

A photographer's dream... this looks almost unreal to me - having not one, but two tigers chasing each other out in the open! I can only imagine the excitement, the trepidation, you and your guests must have been over the Moon with this:) I certainly would be.

I like the space in the frame and the subjects almost entirely off the ground, the fellow at the back about to pounce on his sibling - hope you have more from this sighting...

In terms of PP work I tend to agree with Rachel and Andre above, spending a few more minutes to apply a couple of tweaks in the right places can make a difference, especially when you have something so unique. I certainly look forward to see your next post, from me a warm welcome back to BPN Wildlife :cheers:

Kind regards,

Thanks Gabriela, I totally agree., and will watch closer for these adjustments as needed. We had 4 together for a few seconds, then suddenly these to "lifted off" for a 100 meter dash!

Some day day I should write up the whole story step by step. Thanks again for your kindness.

take care.

Loi Nguyen
05-31-2015, 04:58 PM
what lovely sighting of running tiger cubs. The OP looks a bit dark on my monitor, so I like the RP by Rachel the best. Loi

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-31-2015, 09:49 PM
Hey Ray
Nice to have you back.
Great scene with the cubs running. THe reflections on the water remind me of a city skyline almost. What are they reflections of?
I tend to agree with you about the PP being fairly quick and simple. That's my motto. 27"iMac. Nice! Got one too, thanks to a very generous friend who donated his old one to me. A photographer's best friend IMO!

Raymond Barlow
06-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Hey Ray
Nice to have you back.
Great scene with the cubs running. THe reflections on the water remind me of a city skyline almost. What are they reflections of?
I tend to agree with you about the PP being fairly quick and simple. That's my motto. 27"iMac. Nice! Got one too, thanks to a very generous friend who donated his old one to me. A photographer's best friend IMO!

Thanks Ákos, good to see your work once again. At this location in Ranthambore, there are old ruins of the fort, which most likely would be the different tones in the reflection.

http://www.ranthambhore.com/town/sawai-madhopur-fort/

The iMac is a superb machine, with incredible resolution, brightness, and definition. Best $ I have spent besides my 200-400.

Take good care.

Steve Kaluski
06-21-2015, 03:25 AM
Hi Raymond, I know exactly where this was taken and this for me is the best locations to photograph Tigers in, as it's diverse, but also the ruins of the palace to is just awesome, especially if you have Tigers resting in them. If circumstance were different and I had been around at the time of your posting I would have suggested you swing by to meet a guy who is probably one of the best Tiger conservationists and photographer, but it seems you are doing well out there, good luck.

TFS
Steve

Raymond Barlow
06-22-2015, 10:10 PM
Hi Raymond, I know exactly where this was taken and this for me is the best locations to photograph Tigers in, as it's diverse, but also the ruins of the palace to is just awesome, especially if you have Tigers resting in them. If circumstance were different and I had been around at the time of your posting I would have suggested you swing by to meet a guy who is probably one of the best Tiger conservationists and photographer, but it seems you are doing well out there, good luck.

TFS
Steve

Thanks Steve... We did well, and the tigers did put on a show! Our last safari, last 10 minutes, we were able to witness the 3 cubs doing battle., so spectacular.
Too bad it was almost dark!!

Our guide was awesome, we made a good team., Just got home, and I want to go back, badly!!

take care.