PDA

View Full Version : Broad bodied chaser

Jonathan Ashton
05-29-2015, 10:21 AM
Hand held Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L 11 & 1.4TC 111, Auto ISO 1250 -0.3 1/2000 sec f11
I had a disappointing afternoon, having gone out to photograph water voles, I didn't see one or anything at all worth pointing the lens at. Then in the last couple hundred yards we came across this female broad bodied chase who kindly perched just in front of us. I couldn't quite get square on or I would have disturbed the perch it was resting upon so unfortunately the left wings are just a tad out, well I thought a reasonable start to the new season!

Warren Spreng
05-31-2015, 05:49 AM
Beautiful details in the wings, great BG. I'm just starting to try my hand at some Macro, curious as to how much of a crop this is?

Jonathan Ashton
05-31-2015, 06:08 AM
Beautiful details in the wings, great BG. I'm just starting to try my hand at some Macro, curious as to how much of a crop this is?

Warren, it is a small crop i.e. little removed - almost full frame.

Diane Miller
05-31-2015, 12:46 PM
Gorgeous color and tonalities on a perfect BG! Wonderful sharpness and detail -- I don't mind the far wing going OOF. It can be so hard to get these guys flat against a good BG, and the slight angle makes for a much less static subject.

Ron Conlon
05-31-2015, 01:56 PM
Great color, contrast and interest (I've not seen one of these before). Not bothered by the bit of wing not in the dof. Normally I like the critter facing me, but don't mind in this case because of the color and broadness of, um, the body.