PDA

View Full Version : Theme- eagle eats cormorant(?) eating bullhead(?)

Bob Smith
05-28-2015, 05:25 PM
I spotted this young eagle ahead of me on the beach and was able to use a large rock to screen my approach to within about 20-30 yds. As soon as I peaked out from behind the big rock it was annoyed to see me and ruffed it's feathers but unlike most eagles in my experience when you appear this close to them it refused to leave and soon went back to devouring it's dinner. It appears that it's victim had also been in the process of devouring a dinner ( fish)when the eagle struck.
Nikon D600,Nikkor 70-300 f4.5-5.6, ISO 560,f5.6,1/500.152570

arash_hazeghi
05-28-2015, 11:26 PM
what a drama! I wish the big rock was not directly behind him ( a bit distracting) and the head looks a bit blurry to my eye. increasing your ISO for faster shutter speed can improve sharpness

TFS

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-29-2015, 01:43 AM
Agree with Arash about the rock (major bummer) and the head too. Don't know why you wouldn't crank up the ISO. The D600 should be great even at 1600 or more perhaps.
So many folks appear to be "scared" of noise etc. Using the right exposure technique (shooting to the right), one can get very nice, smooth, images and even some with a bit of noise can be nicely cleaned up in post.
While I have never seen Arash's guide, he has one that deals with NR. So maybe check it out.

Lovely action otherwise. Wish I could get this close to a bloody eagle of any type down under without any kind of concealment.
Congrats. :)

keith mitchell
05-29-2015, 03:07 AM
Rock bit well covered but still leaving you with a very dramatic image,thanks for giving us a look.

Keith.

David Cowling
05-29-2015, 03:46 AM
Great action picture. Nature in the raw. Perhaps a little fill flash could have lifted the subject from the background rock depending on how long you had to catch the action.

Bob Smith
05-29-2015, 05:02 PM
Thank you all for your feedback. I just went backed and checked that project folder and it turn's out I did move around and get some other shot angles. 152589 Guess I picked the wrong image to post because I wanted to show the bullhead in the cormorant's beak.