PDA

View Full Version : On Top of Calakmul

Dvir Barkay
05-27-2015, 08:40 PM

The view from the top of the pyramid at Calakmul. The forest is vast and one of the largest remaining intact rainforests outside of the Amazon. The little white spec in the distance is a smaller pyramid that was once part of a huge square that was all the way from this pyramid to the other. The clouds were rather nice, though here they covered up the sun so the contrast is a bit low but I do like the colors. The forest literally grows on the side of the pyramid all the way to the top, it is rather amazing.

A700, Sony 16-50, Polarizing filter, Calakmul in Mexico, 2015

Don Railton
05-27-2015, 11:26 PM
Hi Dvir,

you have a nice balance of elements here.. and the colours look good.. I would consider adding just a little more contrast to the land just below the skyline to reduce the haze, (espc RHS). I know there was haze, but it rarely in my opinion adds to an image, so i usually try and reduce it. These are just my preferences and its nit picking really...

DON

Diane Miller
05-31-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm a fan of low contrast and think this is just right. Colors are very pleasing. You have to wonder what else is buried under that canopy.... How cool it would be to see a centuries-long time lapse of it eating the ruins.

Andrew McLachlan
06-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Hi Dvir, nice ruins and works well centered within the scene. I'd love to explore the surrounding forest. As an alternate to this version I like the idea of a pano crop with no sky visible...just ruins and forest.

Andrew Bell
06-06-2015, 01:20 PM
I like the composition but would prefer the light to be less flat.