PDA

View Full Version : Big Horn on Snowy Ridge

Rachel Hollander
05-26-2015, 07:42 AM
Like Andreas, I thought I would add a bit of diversity to the forum by posting an image of North American wildlife. Taken in Yellowstone with Dale in early February. Occasionally blue skies peaked through and fortunately it did so as this ram cooperated and walked along the ridge.

Canon 7D2
100-400 II @ 400mm
1/1250
f5.6
ISO 800
HH from road, slight crop for comp, levels, curves, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Stu Bowie
05-26-2015, 01:48 PM
Hi Rachel, overall, well exposed on both the Big Horn, and the snow in the FG. I like how well the eye shows up, and the detail on his coat. Good to see a hint of light cloud in the sky BG, and comp wise, taking a bit off the top could work. :w3

Andre Pretorius
05-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Hi Rachel

Sorry, never left the continent, my heart is here..Do not have any other wildlife images but African..:bugeyed:

Just my take, IMHO the FG takes up too much in this image, but rather the space used for comp be taken up by BG. The eye is not lead to subject, but drawn to it.
The eye may wonder to the BG with no detail, but comes back to the detailed subject.
May would have liked more detail in darks, but upping the exp might have blown the snow..?

WDYT?

Andreas Liedmann
05-26-2015, 02:30 PM
OOPS Rachel i am back to Africa because of enough diversity after some Seals ..... LOL.

A very nice simple frame , i like the overall simplicity in this image . The Ram does look good to me with enough detail in the shadows. Very nice colors , but i might drop the blues a fraction in the snow .
I agree with Andre regarding crop , but would choose a 1/3 snow 2/3 sky classy ratio .

BTW good to see some variety :wave:.

TFS Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
05-26-2015, 04:12 PM
Very nice, Rachel - love the tones, setting (you know I like animals on ridges haha) and the overall image is just very pleasing.
I agree with Andre but would take off only half of your original snowy FG...

Dumay de Boulle
05-27-2015, 03:17 AM
Gorgeous IQ and tones. I like this a lot. I was about to suggest less at the bottom and more on top and then I saw Andre's post. Maybe somewhere between your and his for my taste.

Rachel Hollander
05-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys, I think I agree with Dumay about somewhere in between the op and Andre's suggested comp. I struggled with where to crop (although the op is probably 90% of ff) because I didn't want the rock smack in the center either. So a bit more off the bottom and putting some back on top should work.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
05-27-2015, 08:12 AM
Hi Rachel, when I first saw it, the 50/50 split wasn't really working for me either, so the third/two thirds will improve the composition and I do like the idea of a bit more tonal contrast in the ram, brings out a hint more detail.

TFS
Steve

Gabriela Plesea
05-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Lovely image Rachel, well exposed and great detail overall, as well as IQ. I was experimenting with a pano crop here but lost my RP due to load shedding:2eyes2: Well processed as usual, and I tend to agree with Steve - a tad of tonal contrast on the subject would not hurt, just to make the ram stand out even more. I am quite taken with those beautifully shaped horns, and there's something powerful and unforgiving about this species that makes me think they can fight to death... Very impressive male you have here, all alone against that innocent blue sky and immaculate snow...yet he looks like he means business - was he alone when you spotted him, or had some unfinished business with some other male?:tinysmile_shy_t:

Thank you for this post, quite thought provoking...enjoyed viewing, a lot:cheers:

Warmest regards,

Rachel Hollander
05-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks Steve and Gabriela. I'll take a look at the tonal contrast in the ram too.

haseeb badar
05-28-2015, 07:30 AM
Hi Rachel -- this is a very beautiful image , enjoyed viewing it ! liked Andres version also , somewhere in between will certainly look more appealing .

and i have absolutely no idea about the tonal contrast ! if it is possible can you please elaborate ?

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-29-2015, 03:20 AM
I see the crop differently, since you're looking up.
I'd prefer more of the snow and less of the sky as the image already shows that the angle of view is a bit steep, so leading to it with snow would be better balance. That's my thoughts though.

THe sky is very pretty and I love the rocks popping through the snow

Rachel Hollander
05-29-2015, 07:17 AM
Thanks Haseeb and Akos. Akos - I agree with you. The big horn sheep are usually found on rocks and up high so for me the more natural crop and comp is to have the steep slope leading to the ram.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
05-30-2015, 03:22 AM
When I first saw the original I like it. The repost does take my eye very quickly to the eye of the ram but I appreciate the importance of the snow so would agree a crop somewhere between would perhaps be ideal. As i scroll the original I would suggest about an inch of the base.

Rachel Hollander
05-30-2015, 09:18 AM
Thanks Jon, that was sort of what I was thinking too.

Raymond Barlow
05-30-2015, 11:59 AM

Wonderful image Rachel., love the light, subject, action, details, everything but the ratio. My version / suggestion attached.

Also, personally, I do everything possible to avoid blue or white sky in my images., of course, sometimes we have no choice., like my tiger image, this is another one of those split bg shots, that we like, but ... well you know!
Looking fwd to seeing more of your work. best wishes.