PDA

View Full Version : Great Crested Flycatcher

Bill Dix
05-25-2015, 07:08 PM
I had picked out a hopeful spot at a clearing in the woods for a warbler, and was waiting patiently when this Great Crested Flycatcher flew in and posed for a few seconds. Certainly I would have preferred not to have the leaf over the body, but I don't think it intrudes too much. Not a species I've photographed often. (The warbler came ten minutes later.)

D7200, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 800, 1/1000s @ f/7.1 manual

gail bisson
05-25-2015, 07:21 PM
A beautiful bird indeed. Love the clear eye. Cannot fault the IQ and fieldcraft but...I am not loving this one Bill.
The bird is on the wrong side of the stick and I find it takes away from the image.
Could you have moved to the left to get rid of all the stuff in the BG on the LHS of the frame?I would clone out the vertical OOF grey branch.
Man oh man, I am picky tonight!!:w3

Karl Egressy
05-26-2015, 01:19 PM
Great bird to have, nicely done, Bill.

Stu Bowie
05-26-2015, 01:29 PM
Hi Bill, love the sharp head, and the way the outline of the top leaf, follows the curve of the head. Im fine with the OOF foliage in the BG, but having a complete smooth BG would have taken this up a few notches.

Bill Dix
05-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks all. Gail is right of course (as usual). I was so excited to get a sharp image of the species that I posted it without taking a step back and critically evaluating the image. Still, I'm glad I got him. Here's a repost with the left hand oof foliage removed. I'm not sure which I like better. The repost shows some posterization, some of which also shows in the OP, and which I assume crept in during the jpeg conversion. If anyone as a suggestion for how to remove, or avoid, this, please let me know.

Bill Dix
05-28-2015, 12:39 PM
I wasn't happy with the repost, so I tried another approach in this second repost. There is still some posterization that I see on my screen at certain viewing angles. Thanks for looking.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-28-2015, 11:47 PM
I get excited too, believe me I do. It's hard to not be excited and to focus on all the different parameters that create strong images.
I like it, but it's not one of your stronger images I've seen lately.
The last repost is probably the best for me. I know not a lot could've been done about the damaged leaves as it was unlikely a set-up, but they really distract for me.

Thanks for sharing. :)