PDA

View Full Version : Another Cicada

Allen Sparks
05-24-2015, 04:37 AM
Canon 7D, Sigma 150mm macro, Tamron 1.4x TC SP Pro, Canon 600 ex-rt speedlite w/diffuser
ISO 400, f16, 1/250s, HH

I believe this is a thirteen year brood. They are really humming in the trees in my neighborhood.

Jonathan Ashton
05-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Allen good focus on the eyes, what I presume to be mouth parts are not so sharp. I wonder if you could have got the shot without the TC then I reckon you would have had more DOF. Nevertheless an very intersting shot. I remember seeing a programme about these critters, as you indicated they have a remarkably long life cycle and when they emerge they are almost plague like in certain areas.

shane shacaluga
05-26-2015, 08:47 AM
I like the contrast of the reds and browns against the green surface it is walking upon. Nicely focused and sharp on the eyes but i do wish to see a bit more DOF to get the mouth "grill" a bit more defined.

Light is nicely diffused around the eye area as well.

TFS

Ron Conlon
05-26-2015, 07:51 PM
You are making the most of the plague ;) Nicely done, the color contrast is wonderful.

Steve Maxson
05-30-2015, 08:38 PM
This is a species we never see this far north - looks like you are making good use of your once-in-13-years opportunity to photograph them. A very colorful insect and good sharpness around the eyes. I would agree with the others that the image would have more impact if the entire "face" area was within your DOF. I think Jon's suggestion of removing the TC might have done the trick. :S3:

Warren Spreng
05-31-2015, 06:04 AM
Nice, I remember being in Nashville one year when these came out and being afraid to open my mouth too far in fear that one would fly in they were so numerous! I agree with others that I would like to see a little more DOF.