PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Oriole.

Karl Egressy
05-22-2015, 07:02 AM
Shooting in a rainy day resulted some keepers.
Thanks for looking.

Canon 5D Mark III
Canon 500 f4.0 L IS Mark II.
ISO 1250
1/250 s
f 5.6

keith mitchell
05-22-2015, 07:30 AM
Wow Karl that's a classic, bird nearly jumps out of the frame, bird ,BG,perch all spot on.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2015, 07:40 AM
Hi Karl, a striking subject, that 'orange' really 'pops' out of the screen as Keith mentioned, all set against the more muted green, nice combination IMHO. Nice detail in the blacks, but I wonder if there is some blue creeping in??? Like the HA and body posture. If you ran some NR, (shouldn't need to at that ISO) I wonder if some has crept into the chest plumage, you just have a some contrast between sharp and 'flat' areas there, but it might be these old eyes. Personally I might of had more DoF, so taking the ISO up to 2500 wouldn't be a problem.

TFS
Steve

Karl Egressy
05-22-2015, 07:52 AM
Hi Karl, a striking subject, that 'orange' really 'pops' out of the screen as Keith mentioned, all set against the more muted green, nice combination IMHO. Nice detail in the blacks, but I wonder if there is some blue creeping in??? Like the HA and body posture. If you ran some NR, (shouldn't need to at that ISO) I wonder if some has crept into the chest plumage, you just have a some contrast between sharp and 'flat' areas there, but it might be these old eyes. Personally I might of had more DoF, so taking the ISO up to 2500 wouldn't be a problem.

TFS
Steve
Thanks Steve.
As I did the PP a few days ago and I don't remember the detail, (I still know my name and where I live LOL) so I'm not sure if I used NR on the bird at all.
The smooth part is more wet IMO that's why it looks the way it does.
I shot a few frames with ISO 2500 most recently and I was happy with the result, so I'll use it more in the future, thanks.

Steve Kaluski
05-22-2015, 08:41 AM
That's fine Karl, as you say it's probably down to being wet.

I shot a few frames with ISO 2500 most recently and I was happy with the result, so I'll use it more in the future, thanks.

Don't be afraid, a well exposed image with good SS and I think you will be pleasantly surprised, once you start to push it (within reason) it just expands another avenue. Yes, older cameras don't cope well, but the 5D, 1Dx, D4 they just open up a wealth of opportunity at more higher ISO's, look forward to seeing the results.

Cheers
Steve

PS
(I still know my name and where I live LOL)

Yep, I'm with you there, thank goodness for SatNav!! :bg3:

William Dickson
05-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Amazing capture Karl. Those colours are fantastic. Bird perch and BG very nice indeed Well done

Will

Jim Crosswell
05-22-2015, 06:24 PM
I like the pose, perch, IQ, BG and composition. Excellent image Karl!

Ed Kelly
05-23-2015, 09:06 AM
Excellent. Agree a beautiful capture. I would remove the two white spots under the beak.And the triangle hair on top of head.

Ed

gail bisson
05-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Love the IQ and all the beautiful colors.
Nice one Karl!
Gail

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-25-2015, 03:31 AM
Don't be shy to push the ISO! I am happy with 3200 and even 6400. In extreme situations I can get useable images even from 25600. Though NR is a must there. :D

Lovely colours overall. Really nicely framed and well executed. Great work!