PDA

View Full Version : Waxwing

Anders Nielsen
01-07-2008, 10:43 AM
I was not sure if I should post this in the avian forum or here, but I chose this forum as I really want to keep on improving my images. In my own opinion this is one of the best pictures I have ever taken and this is why I want to learn what can be done better so I am able to make it better the next time I am in the field. I tried to frame the Waxwing with the berries and because of this I kept the out of focus berries on the left side instead of cloning them.

This is an image I really tought over before taking it as I waited in this spot for about an hour before I got the picture I wanted. I can't see what could have been done better myself and that is why I am hoping for some advice on how to keep improving.

Canon EOS 400D
EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM
1/160 sec f/5.6 ISO 800
Tripod.
I have corrected levels and contrast in the image as well as a heavy noisereduction on the background and a light noisereduction on the Waxwing. Finally i sharpened the bird with smartsharpen. The image is cropped to about 75% of the original size.

George DeCamp
01-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Hi Anders!

I think you are on the right track and have a excellent image. I wouldn't change too much but just a couple quick tweaks to give you an idea (you could do better than me you can see mine still needs blending on the left). I cropped a little from the left and did a little work with the healing brush. Just to get the bird a little larger in the frame. Does this make it better? Not sure, some may like it or some may like yours. Just to give you another option to look at. Again you did very well and love that bird!!

Rosl Roessner
01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi Anders,
to me, your idea, framing the bird with the berries, looks very good. It feels good, to look at the "sheltered" bird.
I like your image more that the more cropped one. I like your idea, the image and the bird.
Well done!

Jacqui Hendry
01-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Hello Anders,

I love this image, The fact that you had thought about the image you wanted to photograph and being patient really paid off, it is a really super image,

The colour of the berries really compliment the pale colour of the bird..

I wish I had taken this , Excellent :)

Jacqui

Terry Eddington
01-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Anders, very nice capture. Good composition, head position and catchlight in the eye. I agree with your decision to leave the berries on the upper left in the photo. My only nit is the light spot on the background just in front of this beautiful Cedar Waxwing. I'd prefer to darken it or clone it out if you're open to that as I find it draws my eye away from your main subject. Thanks for sharing.