William Dickson
05-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Canon 5D Mk3
f/4 500mm
f/6.3
1/640
ISO 800
+0.3

This is another shot from my time with the Black Headed Gulls. As i was photographing them, a dk cloud came over and it started to rain heavy, which turned into sleet. I was watching this Juvenile Gull 'hovering' up and downwards towards the surface of the loch. I slowed my shutter speed as I was wanting atmosphere in the photograph by the heavy rain/sleet. Apart from slight blur on the legs and wings I managed to get a good shot of the gull at this shutter speed. Within a couple of mins the sun was out again :S3:

Thanks for looking and for the comments on my Jackdaw. Much appreciated

Will

Ed Kelly
05-20-2015, 05:29 PM
Like it Will, The feet positioning is interesting. Looks like it is using there position for balance.

Ed

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Really great photo Will. I love it when people don't just wait for "perfect" light to capture the lives of wildlife. This is a perfect example of that! The gull sits nicely in the frame and the rain adds tons of atmosphere to the shot.
Well done mate. :)

Karl Egressy
05-20-2015, 07:34 PM
The Gull well positioned in the frame and sharp where it counts. The rain and sleet add lot of interest to it, William.

keith mitchell
05-21-2015, 01:48 AM
This is right up my street Will certainly different, rain drops add atmosphere, thanks for giving us a look really enjoyed it.

Keith.

Andreas Liedmann
05-21-2015, 05:55 AM
Hi Will a very nice frame and the dangling feet/wing position and the really nice falling rain makes this special !!
Comp is very pleasing and you handled the whites quite well , as with Gail´s heron as a personal thing just try to work without the things from Mr Google ..........:t3. Just give it a try and compare both side by side .

Nice job , TFS Andreas

Daniel Cadieux
05-21-2015, 06:03 AM
Iclement weather almost always results in very interesting bird/wildlife photography. I'm always amazed that almost no one is out there in these types of weather! Nice pose and composition. Good job overall.

Marina Scarr
05-21-2015, 07:08 AM
What a fun shot with those dangling legs and wings up in the rain. This bird's head is looking more brown to me than black. I think the image would be even stronger if you darkened the head, assuming black is the intended color.

David Salem
05-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Nice pose on this one with the legs hanging down. The rain adds interest and I like the BG and details you captured. I agree with Marina about the black unless this one isn't as black as the others you have posted. Well done.

William Dickson
05-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the comments, all very much appreciated.

Hi Marina and David. The head on these birds is not actually black, it is usually a chocolate brown colour. The colour of this ones head will be different from the adult Black Headed Gull, as this one is a Juve. The guy who named these birds all those years ago, before chocolate was invented,:e3 prob used the nearest colour :w3. During the winter months they have a white head.

Thanks for the comments

Will

Jim Crosswell
05-21-2015, 07:29 PM
I like the pose, dangling feet, exposure and setting. Nice image Will.