PDA

View Full Version : Seaside Sparrow

Geoffrey Montagu
05-19-2015, 11:49 AM
This lifer for me was right up there with some of the more illusive birds. There were two flying and jumping behind marsh reeds and grasses making it tough to see, let alone grab focus. This image was one of a dozen or so. C&C welcome.

D810, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 tc, 1/800, f 6.3, ISO 1600, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Removed a distracting blades of grass in cs6.

Geoffrey

Lyle Gruby
05-19-2015, 12:27 PM
Congrats on the lifer, it always feels great to capture something new on the list. Here, the image is a bit washed out, I'd add some contrast and sharpen the bird a bit more. I do like environmental portraits, but this scene is a little too busy for me.

Karl Egressy
05-19-2015, 02:05 PM
The image might not be the best as presented but I believe it can be easily fixed.
Great to have a lifer. I haven't had one for years now, and this bird would be one of them.

Jim Crosswell
05-19-2015, 04:38 PM
Congratulations on the lifer Geoffrey. I agree with Lyle's critique.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-20-2015, 08:12 AM
There's a lot going on with the image, especially the setting. The bird does not really make much impact and the angle of the head is not ideal either. I wonder how much you had cropped, as I am not seeing a lot of detail. If it's your first sighting, then great. :) What I try to do is get some keeper shots, then try to go for more creative photos. It's never easy. Keep it up! :)

Geoffrey Montagu
05-21-2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. This is the Seaside Sparrows environment and I agree it's a busy one at that. In the original, because it was quite shaded down in the grasses, I tried to lighten it and over did it. In the repost I darkened globally, and added a few points of contrast selectively on the bird. Sharpened selectively with Smart sharpen + sharpen tool in cs6. Would like to know what you think of the repost.

Geoffrey