PDA

View Full Version : Breeze Browser Pro Question

Guerry Dalrymple
05-31-2008, 04:45 PM
I am wanting to enter some photos taken in RAW with a 20D, 40D and a Canon XTi in a photo contest hosted by the AZ Game and Fish Dept. The submission requirements are:
HORIZONTAL, 300dpi, jpeg or tiff, 8 bit and at least 9X12 inches.

I figured out hw to tell the software to make the photo 300 dpi when convertingi it to to a 8 bit tiff. When converting a photo to sRGB the converted photo in the PS2 Imiage Size screen says it is 12.96 X 8.64 inches. A photo converted to 180 dpi is 21.6 X 14.4 inches.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to end up with photos that meet the submission requirements? I have not done any croping and with some would like to crop a little to improve comp.

Thanks Guerry

Robert Amoruso
05-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Guerry,

Here is how I would do it to end up with a 8-bit JPG sharpened. I assume that you want to do some processing on the RAW files before going to a final submission image.

1) BBPro, convert to TIFF, 16-bit, 300 dpi, Abode RGB.
2) Open in PS.
3) Do whatever levels, curves or other adjustments you need to do. If needed I would do creative sharpening here - like I might sharpen a bird's eye.
4) Using Image Size in PS, see that the document size is at least 9x12 - I don't recall document sizes for these camera's files so check to be sure.
4a) If it is greater then 9x12 and you don't need to crop go to step 6.
4b) If you wish to crop the image, go to step 5.
4c) If the document size is less than 9x12, you can crop to 9x12 and PS will resample to that size (see step 5). Or you can use Image Size, be sure resample is turned on and set width or height to get a document size exceeding 9x12.
5) Chose the crop tool and set the length and width to 9x12 (vertical format) or 12x9 (horizontal format) - do this in the tool bar. You can set to something a bit different if that aspect ratio doesn't fit the image well. Be sure that the resolution is blank or says 300 otherwise you will resample to a different resolution. Then use the crop tool to crop the image and double click on the crop to crop and resample.
6) At this point you have a 300 ppi, 16-bit Adobe RGB image at or exceeding 9x12. Convert it to sRGB and 8-Bit.
7) Sharpen for the final output - I am guessing the images will be viewed on a computer monitor which is why step 6 converts to sRGB and 8-bit.
8) Save this final TIFF before converting to JPG as this will save the layers.
9) Save as a JPG. I would chose the highest quality setting if the did not give a file size not to exceed.

I recommend you start with the settings in step 1 and work in 16-bit and Abode RGB. 16-bit is a superior workflow and give you more digital data to work with.

If you need any additional help, post back here and I will keep an eye out. Good luck with the contest.

Guerry Dalrymple
06-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks Robert. I'm trying your suggestions today. Nancy has a couple of pictures she wants to submit but they are jpegs from a Digital Rebel. She shoots RAW on her XTi now so that helps. I'll let you know how it goes.

Guerry

Robert Amoruso
06-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi Guerry,

If the image is JPG out of the camera, then you might not need to do any process to it. So I would suggest the following to size it.

Using Image Size determine the size to meet the 9x12 requirement. If not you can check Resample Image in Image Size, select Bicubic Sharpener or Smoother per the bullets below and resample to the new document size. I forget to mention which interpolation method to use yesterday so use one of the ones below based on if you are increasing or decrease document size.

If you want to crop, follow my recommendations from the other post.

# Bicubic Smoother should give you better results when increasing image size.
# Bicubic Sharper should give better results when reducing image size.

Guerry Dalrymple
06-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks again Robert. I made all the changes and now have 300 dpi, 16 bit Adobe RGB TIFF images that are 9 X 12. I am getting lost trying to convert them to sRGB 8-bit. Do I do that in BBPro or CS2? The images can be submitted either JPG or TIFF, Should I submit JPEG or TIFF?

Thanks
Guerry

Robert Amoruso
06-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Guerry,

I would convert to JPG. You will do that in CS2 as follows from the menu.

Image > Mode > 8 bits
Edit > Convert to Profile > in Destination Space chose sRGB IC61966-2.1
File > Save As > format chose JPG, next dialog chose the highest quality and hit OK.
If the image size is too large - some will give you a file size, decrease/increase the quality setting until you come close to the file size.

Thats it. Good luck.