PDA

View Full Version : Common blue damselfly and exuvia

Jonathan Ashton
05-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L 11 & 1.4TC111, Auto ISO500 -0.3 1/320 sec f11 tripod flat to the ground, upper body in soggy grass and mud, chin almost in a puddle! Hey it's got to be done - first one this year! Well first one I could see still by the exuvia, I did actually see the very first one take it's maiden flight, this prompted me to look further and then I found three. As to be expected they were in the most awkward and probably least photogenic sites in the pond but I was still excited to get my first of the season. I was a little undecided over landscape or portrait in the end went for this one. You can see the teneral is just beginning to get it's colouration. In retrospect I should have gone for f16, I keep forgetting there is a little less DOF on full frame.
All C&C welcome.

David Cowling
05-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Good natural history image Jonathan. Well done for finding both together and photographing them so well. It's never easy to get exactly the spot you want to in these circumstances.

Allen Sparks
05-24-2015, 04:46 AM
Hi Jonathan,
I really like the story that is told here and the habitat while not photogenically ideal gives a nice sense of place.

Allen

Ron Conlon
05-31-2015, 02:00 PM
I like the setting and the biology going on here. I think the effort you put into the capture was worth it. Perhaps a little tight on the right, but not a big deal.