PDA

View Full Version : Rising Fog..!!

Don Railton
05-17-2015, 01:31 AM
Hi Guys..

Another image posted from the same location as my previous, but looking downstream towards the sea... This image was taken early morning. I woke to see a large fog bank in the river valley (not common) so I quickly gathered my gear and raced off looking for an image or two in the early light... Feel free to tell me what you think..

Canon 1D4 & Zeiss 18mm on tripod
1/20 sec at F13 , ISO 250, full frame.
processed in ACR adjusting levels etc and a lot of de-spotting (had a very dirty something) but not a lot else. Selectively sharpened using the NIK package.

DON

Diane Miller
05-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Very nice light! I really like the remnant of the old dock and the line leading the view downriver. My only conflict is the relative heaviness on the right compared to the left. I wonder if there is a way to bring up more detail or local contrast on the left and still keep the foggy look. A possibility is to crop a little from the left but then you'd lose the nicely-illuminated area at the left edge.

Had to have a go at it. Used Topaz Adjust, with which I am not at all competent -- never quite figured out the sliders -- but it seemed to provide some nice tonal details here. Probably many other ways to get a similar effect. I masked off the right edge and LRC, leaving just a little boost in exposure there with a slightly translucent mask.

Don Railton
05-17-2015, 07:04 PM
Hi Diane.

Thanks for this, it does lift the image a little more.. I will have a go at doing this in ACR...

DON

Valerio Tarone
05-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Don, i see you wake up early! Gorgeous light! I appreciate the remarks made by Diane. Strong leading line from left to right, It works.

Don Railton
05-21-2015, 08:39 PM
Hi Valerio,

Waking up is easy, it's getting out of bed i don't do not often enough...thank you for the comment.

DON

Morkel Erasmus
05-22-2015, 02:40 PM
Hi Don - a lovely tranquil morning feeling here, crisp as they say.
Diane's repost has addressed my initial concerns with the OP presentation.
Pleasing light and colours overall. That one stump off-centre to the left at the bottom is a bit of a drawing card for the eye, but cropping more would lose the nice wood on the RHS...

Andrew McLachlan
05-27-2015, 05:58 PM
Diane's repost brings out the additional detail I was going to suggest. Again, the elements of decay add interest to this river-scape.

Don Railton
05-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Hi Morkel & Andrew

Thanks for the comments.. I should have posted an adjusted image..

Morkel, Understand what you are saying WRT the stumps, I might have been able to get a full stump isolated from the border if I had of stepped back a little, don't remember exactly. I know the row of stumps extended behind me for quite a way...

Don Lacy
06-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Love the light here Don.