PDA

View Full Version : Running Takeoff

Russ Norwood
05-15-2015, 09:42 AM
In addition to their grace and beauty, these birds have flight controls that are the envy of aeronautical engineers. They can alter the shape of their wings by individually controlling the positions of most of their flight feathers, which allows them to add lift at low speeds and then reduce drag as their speed increases. I photographed this backlit great egret lifting off near St. Amant, Louisiana.

Edit: He did look great, but he's actually a snowy egret. That's what happens when I let my typing get ahead of my thinking.

Canon 1Dx
500mm F4IS
ISO2000
1/1600 at F10
Evaluative metering, +1EV compensation

keith mitchell
05-15-2015, 11:32 AM
When I first looked at this was thinking crying our for more room in front of the bird but of course you would loose that nice disturbance in the water behind the bird ,so wrong again, love the way the light plays through the wing feathers, beautiful piece of work Russ.

Keith.

Troy Lim
05-15-2015, 01:50 PM
I like the shot as is...love to feel of the colors in this image.

Paul Morelli
05-15-2015, 03:19 PM
I like this image. I like the warm feeling. If mine I think I would crop differently but that is just my taste. Nice job!

steve torna
05-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Beautiful and elegant image. I love the soft pastel colors and the way the wings and feathers take on a pink hue. I think Russ's crop (OP) is more pleasing as it shows more reflection of the legs, less dead space, and it includes the water trail which adds interest. I appreciate unconventional crops; to me when done tastefully and thoughtfully it draws me into the photograph and holds my interest and curiosity.

Diane Miller
05-15-2015, 04:35 PM
Just gorgeous position and colors! The reflection and disturbed water in the OP balance the bird very nicely. I'd consider including more of it, if you have it. You could add some canvas on the left as Paul did.

William Dickson
05-15-2015, 05:06 PM
I like the OP. Beautiful frame Russ. The lighting, details and setting perfect. Good work

Will

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-15-2015, 05:53 PM
If it were mine, I'd leave the crop as the OP, but would add more room in front. I think even centering the bird with room ahead and the trail behind would work. At least for me.
Love the pinkish hues along the wing tips.
Really nicely done.

Robert Kimbrell
05-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Good colors here, I think the water trail belongs, but might add a little canvas on the left.

Charlene Bacchioni
05-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Nice image ,very arty Russ,

ronald jones
05-16-2015, 08:00 AM
A cracking shot Russ, wish it was mine,!

Marina Scarr
05-16-2015, 08:17 AM
While unorthodox, I prefer the original crop b/c the trail is very important here. Love the action and BC color. This is a young snowy, and they tend to be very erratic when they are young, and I feel the OP portrays the bird and its behavior well.

Russ Norwood
05-16-2015, 10:55 AM
This was one of a dozen or so young birds feeding on the wing by swooping low, dragging their feet to startle fish into motion and grabbing them in flight. Although this one missed, as often as not the tactic seemed to work. I was fortunate to get several good shots of successful attempts, too but even the misses were beautiful in that great light.

Russ Norwood

Mike Poole
05-16-2015, 02:49 PM
Breaks all the rules, running out of the frame, facing slightly away from the camera.

I love it! Beautiful light, and great wing position

Don Railton
05-17-2015, 11:12 PM
Love the colour as it is, but do you thing it might look better if you took a bit of blue out of the bird..? i am seeing a slight blue cast which apparently no one else has mentioned so maybe its just me??

DON

Russ Norwood
05-18-2015, 02:03 PM
Love the colour as it is, but do you thing it might look better if you took a bit of blue out of the bird..? i am seeing a slight blue cast which apparently no one else has mentioned so maybe its just me??

DON

It's definitely not just you Don. The blue is there because the feathers are being illuminated by bluish early morning sky light and it's especially noticable because I was shooting into the sun, which gave the rest of the shot a decidedly warm cast. I liked the color contrast and of course I knew why it occurred so I left it in. It's a very personal thing, but I feel the shot would not be quite so interesting with the blue removed.

Thanks for the critique.

Russ

Don Railton
05-18-2015, 11:10 PM
And thanks for the explanation Russ...