PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Sunrise

Morkel Erasmus
05-14-2015, 03:45 PM
On our recent family roadtrip, I was able to work in some time for landscape photography. This was taken one morning on the rocks in Gonubie outside of the city of East London in South Africa. I was eager to test out the new HDR capability in Lightroom CC - so I processed this as a 3-exposure HDR in the newly released update of this popular processing package.

The result is pleasantly surprising - even though I prefer to manually blend images in Photoshop to achieve the most natural feel possible. Aside from a halo on the rock edge the overall result is impressive in terms of natural handling of tones and exposure balance...

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f11 | ISO-100 | Blend of 3 exposures

Dvir Barkay
05-14-2015, 05:10 PM
Very nice Morkel. How does it process the moving water without blurring it all together and ghosting? And interesting that the reflection of the sky has more color and sunset feel than the actual sky it is reflecting. Otherwise really very nice.

Diane Miller
05-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Very nice -- both the software and what the photographer did! I love the wide-angle look out through the rocks and the dead-calm water in the pool. Would be interesting to add some gradient darkening / saturation to the sky.

Also interested in the answer to Dvir's question.

Don Railton
05-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Hi morkel, only on the iPad at the moment but this looks very nice.... Regarding the reflection, I think I remember one of the Dons (lacy or Nelson..) saying that reflections are typically about 1 stop darker than the source ( sky in this case). Understandable when the water is not a perfect mirror, so some light will be absorbed, some will reflect.

don

Andrew McLachlan
05-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Looks quite nice Morkel! I like the way you arranged the boulders in the foreground. I think this would look quite nice as a B&W as well.

Morkel Erasmus
05-27-2015, 10:46 PM
Very nice Morkel. How does it process the moving water without blurring it all together and ghosting? And interesting that the reflection of the sky has more color and sunset feel than the actual sky it is reflecting. Otherwise really very nice.

Haven't done much processing further on other images with more moving water. Will try.
The piece of sky reflected in the pool is actually not in frame, it was right above my head, and was the only piece of colour in the sky at that point...