PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Prey Delivery

Troy Lim
05-13-2015, 06:13 PM
Another shot taken from the first ESO nest this season:
http://troylimphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/TLP0946-copy.jpg
1/250, f/16, ISO1600, Flashes, shot taken from top of the roof on pickup truck, all manual.

gail bisson
05-14-2015, 04:32 AM
Looks good Troy.
I like the wing position on this image.
Comp is good and the "balance" of the image feels right with the tree trunk on left and bird on right. The green on the trunk provides the dash of color to make the image more appealing,
Gail

Troy Lim
05-14-2015, 08:03 AM
Looks good Troy.
I like the wing position on this image.
Comp is good and the "balance" of the image feels right with the tree trunk on left and bird on right. The green on the trunk provides the dash of color to make the image more appealing,
Gail

Thank you Gail. I could not make it when the babies are peeking out of the nest box. It would have made the images more interesting for sure. Thanks for stopping by.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Really nicely done Troy. Were you using a camera trap set up with this?
Glad I'm not the only madman who stands on the roof of his car to get higher. :bg3:

Troy Lim
05-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Really nicely done Troy. Were you using a camera trap set up with this?
Glad I'm not the only madman who stands on the roof of his car to get higher. :bg3:

Ákos, no camera trap used, it was all done manually by prefocused on the cavity. That's why I opted for f/16 or smaller to lesser the chance of the adult being out of the depth. We were successful because the hunting and feeding pattern are similar with slight variation at times.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-14-2015, 05:25 PM
Cool, thanks Troy.
Do you set the flashes off to the side and trigger one as slave? Do you have some kind of faint white or a red light to know when they're coming in?
I can see the sense in setting up like this. Your pix are excellent and this is not the first I've seen!
Will have to try with some of the owls Downunder.

Troy Lim
05-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Cool, thanks Troy.
Do you set the flashes off to the side and trigger one as slave? Do you have some kind of faint white or a red light to know when they're coming in?
I can see the sense in setting up like this. Your pix are excellent and this is not the first I've seen!
Will have to try with some of the owls Downunder.

I shot with two 600 ex flashes, both triggered using phottix receiver remotely.
Lighting depends on what angle you want and how you predict the incoming. Once you know the behavior, the rest is 10% of the work: from setting up flashes, angle, waiting etc.
90% of it is understand its pattern, once you get that down, capturing this will be so much easier.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Thanks mate. Appreciate the tips. Will work with some owls soon enough hopefully. The pair that have bred in front of me the last two years have been quite. Probably taking this year off by the look of it.

Marina Scarr
05-16-2015, 08:40 AM
What Gail said Troy. Love the balance and touch of color. Prey adds a lot. Have you darkened the Bg here?

Troy Lim
05-17-2015, 01:58 AM
I believe I have. Have to look at the original to see. I tweaked the lighting every night to get better results.