PDA

View Full Version : Greater Roadrunner & Scorpion

Alan Murphy
05-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Greater Roadrunner

Green Valley, AZ

D3, 600, ISO 250, f8, 1/800

Heading to AZ in the morning. Here's one from a few years ago.

Jonathan Ashton
05-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Pin sharp lovely composition. I am a little uneasy with the lighting, are the highlights just a tad high?
The scorpion for example looks OK but the bird's legs and some pale plumage along with the yellow flowers - just a tad bright??

John Robinson
05-12-2015, 02:47 PM
HiAllen
Another gem ! Just looked at your web site
I,m giving up bird photography !!
John

gail bisson
05-12-2015, 07:19 PM
I think the scorpion is "killer" :bg3:!Just love seeing this unusual prey. Nice to see the bird perfectly parallel to the sensor.
Excellent capture and good composition.
The light is a little bit harsh but not a deal breaker. I think you could push the highlights down a bit.
I like the slight variation in the BG which gives a nice sense of depth.
If I was to be super picky, I would clone out the little itty bitty yellow flower that is bisected in the lower LHS of frame near the tail tip
Well done as always,
Gail
Gail

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-13-2015, 06:30 AM
Does look bright to me too, but I am not that bothered really. An incredibly beautiful shot Alan! (as always mate)

Stu Bowie
05-13-2015, 06:44 AM
Hi Alan, super comp, and perched high up, the roadrunner shows off his catch nicely. Thats a pretty large scorpion.

Russ Norwood
05-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Another wonderful capture Alan. Although I'll echo the comments about the relatively harsh light and cloning the bisected flower, the bird's pose with prey, head angle, background and surroundings are all so good I feel a little guilty saying so. Outstanding work, as always.

Russ Norwood
www.perceptivist.com

Andreas Liedmann
05-13-2015, 09:36 AM
Hi Alan a wonderful picture with lots to like and look at .
Great pose and the prey is a very nice bonus . I just think the contrast is a wee bit high and it does look a bit crunchy to my eyes , in parts ... just my 2 cents .
Love the colors !!!

Nice work , Alan.

TFS Andreas

Jim Crosswell
05-13-2015, 09:44 AM
Beautiful image Alan! I like the setting, perch, prey, flowers and composition. I agree with cloning out the flower at the tail and toning the image down a touch.

Gabriela Plesea
05-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Lovely image Allan and I like the composition, BG is great, lovely setting, "perch" superb, pose out-of-this-world with the Roadrunner sporting a scorpion at the end of its beak - is there more one could wish for?

I think you have a stunning frame to begin with, not to forget the content. I am not sure whether the image is a tad too bright or contrasty, the flowers do seem a tad oversaturated. Worth a revisit and perhaps a gentler approach with PP work. Subject pops so nicely against the BG, what a wonderful sighting and congratulations on capturing this, I just love the behaviour aspect:cheers:

Kind regards,

Glenn Conlan
05-13-2015, 05:37 PM
Great as always the prey is over the top

arash_hazeghi
05-14-2015, 01:23 AM
awesome settings with a very unique prey item

TFS

David Salem
05-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Not sure how the heck you got all the components of this frame to come together, especially the scorpion in perfect position, but hats off to ya. Your setup skills are second to none!! Very nice frame.