PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Kite with mouse

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-12-2015, 08:17 AM
One reason this is a very special shot is that I took it on my birthday two years ago. I was very busy all day and didn't think I'd get out at all. Plus the weather was not very conducive for nice light.
Come late afternoon I managed about an hour at one of my local spots where two of these Black-shouldered Kites were busy hunting. The pair caught four mice in about 15 minutes just before to sun dipped below the ridge of the Blue Mountains behind me.
The other exciting thing was that this individual allowed me an approach close enough to fill the frame in plain view. Normally they have about a 30-40 meter tolerance range from my experience. But each individual can behave differently. Even on different days.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III
Shooting Date/Time 03/24/13 18:34:38
Owner's Name Ákos Lumnitzer
Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/640
Av(Aperture Value) 5.6
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 1000
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Focal Length 700.0mm
Hand held

Joe Subolefsky
05-12-2015, 08:26 AM
WoW awesome capture. Only small thing I see is a second catch light or something at the 5 O'clock position on the pupil of the eye that I would remove. Wish this was mine.

gail bisson
05-12-2015, 08:27 AM
Hi Akos,
You had some beautiful light here. Love the way the whites were exposed for.
Good IQ and POV is not too steep.
I wish there was a way to diminish the impact of the OOF branch that intersects with the birds wing on the RHS.
As this is full frame I could see a version with a crop from the LHS to reduce the amount of tree in the upper LH corner and then I might clone out any remaining tree trunk from that corner.
You could also go for a vertical here as well. Lots of options!
TFS
Gail

Gerald Kelberg
05-12-2015, 10:16 AM
Hey Akos,

Very nice image - I like the exposure on the whites of the bird and the red of the eye is great! Nice perch too! Good when you can get them to pose in a fairly open area like that.

I like the background - yes, a little busy, but soft enough not to intrude - in my opinion.

Regards, Gerald

William Dickson
05-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Fantastic capture Akos. Great lighting, beautiful pose on the bird and lovely details. The bird does compete with the BG a little, but the longer you look, the better the presence of the bird. Great work

Will

Jim Crosswell
05-12-2015, 12:45 PM
I like the catch, sharpness, details, exposure and that red eye is amazing. Good birthday present. Very well done Akos.

Stu Bowie
05-13-2015, 06:32 AM
Hi Mate, light looks great, and I like the intense stare showing off their red eyes. Great that you captured him with his prey, and overall, nicely separated from the BG.

Your BSK is pretty similar to ours, if not identical.

Andreas Liedmann
05-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Hi Akos this is a very fine image with a subject hit by some very nice soft light . Ending up with great warm tones/colors . The catch is a great bonus and taking this up a notch.
I think you can sharpen it a fraction more from my POV.
Nice work Akos.
TFS Andreas

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-13-2015, 06:17 PM
Your BSK is pretty similar to ours, if not identical.

Hi Stu
Yeah, Elanid kites, ours is Elanus axillaris. Not sure of your species' full name though other than Elanis xxxxxx.

David Salem
05-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Wow! that red eye is awesome. Can't believe how big it is and the vivid red color. Really stands out. The rest looks great and I like that you caught a natural scene. Well done