PDA

View Full Version : MODERN SHEEP WAGONS

gary ellwein
05-10-2015, 11:30 PM
The wagons are the herders housing. During lambing in March, they are lined up like a row of condos. Note the TV antennae. The ranch is near civilization and they can catch a few channels. The TVs are ditched when they follow the herds into the high country. The modern wagon has replaced canvas with aluminum siding, iron rimmed spoke wheels with rubber tires and a team of horses or mules with a pick up. PP included a Topaz Simplify, Tropaz and Fractalius black lines, and a light grunge texture. These are the steps I remember. There may have been a few more.

Dennis Bishop
05-11-2015, 07:29 AM
As soon as I saw the word, sheep -- before I even opened this -- I was sure I was going to like it. And I do. It's beautifully composed and processed. The foreground and background play a wonderful supporting role to the wagons. The aspect ratio of the frame works perfectly with the row of wagons. I wondered about the large pole and played around with some alternatives but decided -- especially with its location in the composition and the presence of the other pole, the antenna masts, and the chimneys -- that it's just fine. This is a superb image.

Hazel Grant
05-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Agree with Dennis except if it were mine, I'd consider cropping a bit off the left. Seems a useless space to me, but that's just me.

Nancy Bell
05-11-2015, 09:21 AM
Well done! The pano format is well chosen for the layers of horizontal elements. I really like your processing with simplify and the fine black outlines from fractalius. And the few bold colors add nice punches of color. The dirt foreground sets the tone for a difficult life in these shelters. I agree with Hazel with cropping some from the left. Also there is a fine dark line from something that appears to be cropped on the right that I would remove.

Dennis Bishop
05-11-2015, 09:42 AM
I definitely like the row of wagons being off-center left-to-right. And I think that pile of straw or manure on the left is an important element visually and in showing the environment. My vote is to leave the left as-is. However, I think Nancy's suggestion of removing that fine line on the right is a good one. (I hadn't noticed it.)

Mitch Carucci
05-11-2015, 03:56 PM
A classic scene with subtle processing.

gary ellwein
05-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Thanks to all for the look and critique. The repost is minus the line on the right. I missed it. I will leave the left side as is. The old stall bedding is a definite part of the environment. To my eye, the left gives a glimpse of what lies beyond and provides an element of depth.

Jackie Schuknecht
05-12-2015, 05:34 PM
What a life; very well conveyed in your picture. I really like your processing.

Hazel Grant
05-13-2015, 11:43 AM
I understand your thinking re the left . Good thinking. Now I see it as a lifestyle portrait.

Cheryl Slechta
05-15-2015, 07:52 PM
Repost makes this a perfect image, Gary. The backstory of the sheep farming makes it even more special. I'm having lamb chops for dinner tomorrow night - I'll appreciate them more now.:S3:

Anita Bower
05-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Love it! The quirkiness of the trailers and how they are lined up is perfect for this photo. The trailers are enough alike to create cohesion and just different enough to create interest. I agree to the necessity of leaving the left area in the image to provide depth and context. It helps tell the story. I also like how it leads me around to the mountains. The processing is just right.